Dawn Staley makes program history in South Carolina's win over Temple

Thursday night in Philadelphia was a happy homecoming for South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley.

Staley, who started her coaching career at Temple, became the South Carolina women's basketball program record holder for most wins as a head coach with 232 in the Gamecocks' 87-60 win over the Owls. 

Staley credited the program record to the staff and players she had throughout her time in Columbia.

"You pay tribute to all the people that contributed to it," Staley said. 

Senior forward A'ja Wilson finished the game with 28 points, 12 rebounds and eight blocks. She scored 15 points while collecting eight rebounds and five blocks in the first half alone. 

"I love playing defense," Wilson said. "It's something I really take a lot of pride in. I just try my best to be a threat in the paint, and hope the offensive player change their shot." 

Wilson also broke the program record for both career free throws made (484) and career free throws attempted (684) in Thursday's game. 

Similar to Wilson, Bianca Jackson had a career night at Temple. She doubled her career high in points from eight to 16. Jackson also collected five assists and three rebounds. 

Temple finished the night shooting 26.6 percent ( 20-for-75). Conversely, the Gamecocks finished shot 53.7 percent (36-for-67).

Tyasha Harris recorded her third double-double of the season with 11 assists and 13 points. She has continued to be a threat on offense for the Gamecocks, setting a new career high in assists once again this season. The sophomore guard credited her teammates for the pass-heavy performance. 

"It's not me. I feel it is more of my teammates. I like passing the ball," Harris said.  

The Gamecocks will begin conference play in their next game, hosting Texas A&M on New Year's Eve with tip-off set for 2 p.m.