McCaskill selected No. 2 overall in 2018 NWSL College Draft

Former South Carolina women's soccer star Savannah McCaskill's dream came true Thursday morning as she was selected second overall by the Boston Breakers in the 2018 NWSL College Draft

Since the draft started in 2013, McCaskill is just the second South Carolina player to be drafted, and now the highest selected Gamecock in the NWSL College Draft.  Former goalkeeper Sabrina D'Angelo was taken in the third round of the 2015 NWSL Draft by the Western New York Flash. 

McCaskill has racked up mulitple honors over her four year career. Most recently, she was named a finalist for the MAC Herman Trophy, given to the best player in college soccer. She ended up coming in second to the player who was selected first in Thursday's draft: Stanford's Andi Dorfman. Although McCaskill didn't win, being one of the three finalists was still a huge honor to her. 

McCaskill was not able to attend the draft in Philadelphia, but she's currently training with the U.S. Women's National Team in California. If she's one of the 18 selected from camp, she'll take on Denmark for the team's first international match of the year. 

She's one of three players at the camp that has previous national team experience, as she made her U.S. Soccer debut and served as U-23 captain last year. 

McCaskill will now transition into a professional soccer player, but she has left a lasting legacy on the South Carolina soccer program. She's etched her name in the records book as she holds the record for single season points, goals, game-winning goals, shots and shots-on-goal. She's also in the top five for numerous other categories. 

Along with the other seniors on the team, she helped lead the Gamecocks to one of the best four-year spans in program history, including most recently leading them to their first ever College Cup appearance. It's only a matter of time until she makes a similar impact on the Boston Breakers.