Batters come up big in Gamecocks win over Winthrop

The Gamecock hitting game exploded Wednesday night as the team went on to win its fourth-straight game, beating Winthrop 15-2. During this win streak, South Carolina has outscored its opponents 36-6. 

Hunter Taylor and LT Tolbert both went yard in the win, as Taylor hit his first career grand slam. Taylor hit the first grand slam of the season for the Gamecocks, and that blast gave the team an 8-0 lead. The Gamecocks were able to coast the rest of the way. The bottom third of the order, featuring Tolbert, Justin Row and Taylor, provided most of the spark for South Carolina, going 7-for-11 with two home runs and 11 RBIs. 

Head coach Mark Kingston said having a complete lineup is important for the team's success and hopes to continue this strong offense moving forward.

"There's no doubt we feel like we have length in our lineup," Kingston said. "We should be able to put nine hitters out there on any given day where we feel like there's length in the lineup. So I think tonight was an example of that."

While the Gamecock bats came up big, the pitchers had another strong day, as another freshman got the start. Logan Chapman, who pitched in relief on Saturday, had another solid day on the mound. He allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits over the three innings he threw while striking out four. He also only walked a pair of batters, as the Gamecocks only gave up three walks during the game. The bullpen took care of the rest, giving up four hits during the final six innings. 

Due to the large lead, Kingston was able to give a lot of players time on the field, making six substitutions and using five relief pitchers. Kingston said that giving that many athletes playing time helps the morale and confidence of the team.

"One of the toughest things for a coach is to have to only put nine guys in the lineup because they all work hard, they all lift weights, they all show up to practice and put in the effort, so one of the things, as a coach, that you struggle with is having to disappoint kids that don't get to play," Kingston said. "So to have a game where you get to have everyone in the lineup and try to get as many guys at-bats as possible ... it's good to get guys on the field."

South Carolina will look to continue this offensive power as it hosts Charleston Southern for a three-game series starting on Friday.