New Gamecock offense on display at Garnet & Black Spring Game

The scoreboard at Williams-Brice Stadium said the Black team defeated the Garnet team by a score of 34-20, but the offense was the real winner of the day. 

The Gamecocks, under new offensive coordinator Bryan McClendon, treated the 25,500 fans in attendance to a combined 614 total offensive yards with an average of 5.1 yards per play. 

Head coach Will Muschamp, who is preparing for his third season at South Carolina, had high praise for the new-look offense. 

“Very pleased with how our guys have received [the offense],” Muschamp said. “I thought we dictated the tempo well.”

Jake Bentley, who is set to once again be the starting quarterback for the 2018 season, echoed similar statements after the game as well. 

“I think we did a lot of good things,” Bentley said. “I think, as you can see, the tempo caused the defense problems … it’s a big advantage that we have." 

Muschamp specifically noted that Bentley plays better when the offense moves at a faster pace as it did on Saturday afternoon, crediting the pace being something McClendon has worked to fix.

“Certainty I think that Jake plays better when he plays faster,” Muschamp said. “That’s what happens when you create some tempo."

Bentley finished the day 15-of-25, while throwing for 174 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“It goes back to backyard football. It’s just ‘Go play.’ There’s no thinking involved really. You know what your assignments are and you just roll with it,” Bentley said.

This new style of play from the Gamecock offense is a noticeable change from last year’s offense, which only averaged 24 points per game and was part of the blame for some of the team’s four losses last year. 

After a look at an up-tempo offense in the spring game, as well as in the 26-19 Outback Bowl victory over Michigan to end the 2017 season, there is reason to believe that the Gamecock offense will look different in 2018 under McClendon. 

Even with all the excitement, Gamecock fans will still have to wait until Sept. 1 to see the new offense in motion when South Carolina takes on Coastal Carolina in the season opener at Williams-Brice Stadium.