South Carolina dominates over Georgia to advance in championship game

The Gamecocks were able to come out strong and secure a win against the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday night, leading South Carolina into its fourth opportunity to play in championship game.

Head coach Dawn Staley expressed how the previous game against the Bulldogs ultimately prepared the team for this game because of the similar fast-paced and aggressive defensive style of the opponents. This knowledge lead to South Carolina defeating Georgia, 71-49.

Each player was able to execute to her full potential and the team proved itself as the reigning champs. Doniyah Cliney had confidence coming into the game Saturday after scoring a three against Tennessee Friday night, which helped the momentum to fight against Georgia.

"It gave me a lot of confidence," Cliney said. "It started in shoot around. I knew I had to come out with a better mindset. I had to let go of yesterday's game and move on. So that kind of helped me a lot."

Not only did Cliney step up for the Gamecocks, but so did Mikiah Herbert Harrigan. Harrigan was able to score in double figures for the third game in a row, with 14 points Saturday night on 6-of-9 shooting. 

Senior A'ja Wilson was impressed with the leadership of her team and the role that both Cliney and Harrigan stepped into.

"It's great. It's great," Wilson said. "A lot of people going to try to put pressure on our post. And just to have other people step up in different categories in the way that they do is always a great thing. It really completes our team. So really shout out to them, keep doing it, hey, the best is yet to come."

Staley was also proud of both Cliney and Herbert Harrigan's for delivering against Georgia. She credits her team as one that is hard to guard once the players get clicking on all cylinders.

"We're a team that anybody can really step up and perform night in and night out," Staley said.

Georgia's defense was put to the test by South Carolina as the Gamecocks took away one of the Bulldogs' strong advantages. Wilson was able to shutdown most of their defensive scheme by approaching her opponents full force and trusting her teammates to give her shots in the right position.

"Georgia is notorious for defending and holding teams to low percentages and low points," Staley said. "We wanted to just make sure we get out and take advantage of transition, so it won't put so much pressure on our half court offenses. And I thought we did that."

Coming off this strong win, South Carolina will face Mississippi State in the SEC tournament championship at 4:30 p.m., hoping to claim another championship title.