Gamecocks make history, win fourth straight SEC Tournament

It seems third time’s the charm for the South Carolina women’s basketball team as the Gamecocks defeated the Mississippi State Bulldogs 62-51 in the championship round for the third straight year. This gives South Carolina its fourth straight SEC tournament title — the longest streak in the conference. 

The Gamecocks came out firing in the first half, bringing them to a spacious 30-19 lead at halftime. A’ja Wilson, who lead the way for South Carolina during the first two games, scored just six points during the first half, but Mikiah Herbert Harrigan picked up the pace and led the Gamecocks with 11 points. 

The Bulldogs worked during the second half to protect their undefeated season, trailing by only five at one point during the third quarter. But South Carolina found its momentum during the fourth quarter to expand the lead and claim the title. 

Head coach Dawn Staley recognized the fight in her team to get the win and make program history, and credits how hard they have worked all year. 

"Our kids were engaged and locked into the game plan," Staley said. "They did not want to lose. I think they wanted to create their own history, which was to win four SEC Tournament championships. And they were determined to do it." 

Wilson ended the game leading the Gamecocks with 16 points and eight rebounds and helped her team accomplish a feat like no other: She earned South Carolina four SEC Tournament titles, adding to the already growing legacy she’s leaving on the program. 

After the game, Wilson celebrated with her team as they cut down the net and danced around waving four fingers. She's the only Gamecock to have won the four titles and knows how much it means to the program. 

"It's a blessing and an honor," Wilson said. "The SEC is a great conference and to make history like that, to be a team that's gone four times in a row to the championship and won it, it's a great feeling. I really can't even put into words the feeling I know I have ... So this has been a great tournament." 

This game was a rematch of the past two SEC Tournament championships, with the Gamecocks getting the win each year. South Carolina also defeated Mississippi State during the National Championship game last season, giving the series this year a lot of attention. The Bulldogs won the regular season game 67-53 in Starkville this season, making the Gamecocks even more motivated to get the win on Sunday. 

South Carolina now awaits its NCAA Tournament path when the bracket is released on March 11 and the Gamecocks can officially start their journey to defend their national title.