2018 Spring Game gave mid-year enrollees chance to prove themselves

There's been a lot of focus during the offense on the incoming freshmen who will be entering into South Carolina's football program and trying to make a name for themselves in Williams-Brice Stadium.

With that being said, the task of developing young players will not be a given to each Gamecock. The time and work that has to be put into developing each player is crucial for the players to be successful. 

“The emphasis is going to be on our young guys," head coach Will Muschamp said. "We got to continue to get these guys to help us.”

The process and program that Muschamp is building is one that needs efforts from the youngest players to the oldest. Each player's skills and leadership will help develop the program as a whole. 

During Saturday's spring game, some key freshman were able to really get a feel for the upcoming season and experience what Saturdays at Williams-Brice will be like. 

Two of South Carolina's mid-year enrollees, Deshaun Fenwick and Dakereon Joyner were able to get their first snaps during the game. Muschamp gave high praise to Joyner and Jay Urich for their performances thus far. 

“They’re gonna be good players," Muschamp said. "At the end of the day, the games got to slow down for them. Dekereon's got to take care of the ball better in traffic situations obviously, but I am excited about both guys.” 

Moving forward as spring practice start to wind down, these final looks will be good measurements to see how these young players have improved and how they've all handled the challenges of adjusting.

“I think that we've continued to evolve and improve," Muschamp said. "And it’s a huge day of evaluation, and Monday and Tuesday is going to be big days for us as well, especially for the young guys.” 

These practices are going to be where South Carolina needs to see fundamental aspects and growth in each player, especially the incoming ones. Muschamp is pleased thus far with the progress that his team has made, however in the next 123 days, he wants to see more improvement and build depth within both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.