Pair of Gamecocks declare for NBA Draft, eligible to return to South Carolina

Within 24 hours, a pair of South Carolina men's basketball players shocked Gamecock Nation, as Chris Silva and Brian Bowen announced they have declared for the NBA Draft. 

Silva made the announcement on Tuesday regarding his potential return to South Carolina next season. He now has a major choice to make regarding whether or not he will continue to be a Gamecock for his senior year. 

Silva announced Tuesday that he will submit his name for the 2018 NBA Draft, but he will not hire an agent. This gives Gamecock Nation some hope, but they're still facing the potential loss of this explosive forward. Silva has a small window to decide whether to return to South Carolina or remain in the draft.

He has a 10 day period to decide that starts after the NBA Draft Combine, which will run May 16 through May 20 in Chicago. By May 30, the decision will have to be made. 

“I want to thank my family, my teammates, my coaches and all of our amazing fans at the University of South Carolina for all of the support I’ve received so far during my time as a Gamecock," Silva said in a statement. "After meeting with Coach Frank [Martin], I’m excited about the opportunity to declare for the draft, without hiring an agent. I’m looking forward to going through the process.”

No matter what decision Silva makes, there is no doubt that this Gamecock has made an impact at South Carolina. He led his team in points with 14.3 per game and rebounds with 8.0 per game during his junior season. The accolades he's received gives Silva a reason to consider this new opportunity.

Silva was honored on the SEC All-Defensive Team, as well as named the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year. He reached a team high of 26 double-figure scoring games this season. In addition, Silva scored a career high with 27 points in the Gamecocks win over Vanderbilt. 

Martin respects Silva's decision to look into declaring for the draft.  

“Chris’ work on the court has earned him the respect of everyone in the SEC, and also of people in the NBA,” Martin said in a statement. “With the opportunity to declare, he will be able to gather more information and get a feel for what the NBA’s opinions of him are. We are excited for Chris and that the rules allow him the opportunity to test the waters.”

Similar to Silva, incoming freshman forward Bowen also declared for the NBA Draft but did not hire an agent. Bowen is waiting to be cleared by the NCAA to play at South Carolina this upcoming season after being ineligible due to previous issues at Louisville. 

Bowen still plans to play college basketball, but told ESPN that he "felt as though it makes sense to cover my bases."

In a statement released by the program on Wednesday, Bowen said he's still working with his attorney, the NCAA and the University on his eligibility to be cleared to play.

“Everyone at the University of South Carolina, from my teammates and coaches to the great fans, have welcomed me from the very beginning and I want to thank everyone for that support,” Bowen said. “My family and I are thankful to everyone at South Carolina for the opportunity to be a Gamecock. I’m excited to declare for the draft without hiring an agent and look forward to the process and continuing to work hard on my game.”