Column: Rakym Felder never got chance to prove self

Rakym Felder’s story at the University of South Carolina is one of unbelievable highs and ultimately, devastating lows. With men's basketball head coach Frank Martin and Felder confirming that he would not be a part of the 2018-2019 Gamecock men’s basketball team, Felder’s career in garnet came to its unceremonious close. The final low of his roller coaster of a career, Felder will leave behind both a complicated and beloved legacy.

Felder was an unheralded recruit out of Brooklyn, New York, though he spent most of his formative years before that in South Carolina. A huge Gamecock fan, Martin supposedly only needed to call and offer Felder a scholarship to secure his loyalty. Felder was suspended before his freshman season in 2016-2017 due to being a part of some trouble in Five Points. As such, he was suspended for a short time to begin the year. 

The beginning of Felder’s short time in a Gamecock uniform was solid. Immediately, he showed a fire that inspired his teammates, a fearlessness that enabled him with the confidence to take and make almost any shot and a fierce love for and loyalty to his school and team. 

It would not take long for Felder to become a fan favorite. His confidence and fire endeared him to his team, fans and his coach, who he would also enrage when he would take ridiculous shots. Felder looked promising for both the future and for what was quickly becoming the greatest season in Gamecock basketball history.

At the 2017 NCAA tournament, where the Gamecocks entered as a No. 7 seed, Felder, entrenched as the backup point guard, aided in a solid victory over Marquette to give South Carolina its first NCAA tournament win in 44 years. Up next, South Carolina faced mighty Duke, a No. 2 seed who boasted at least 4 likely future NBA players. Felder was an indispensably crucial part of the massive upset. 

The feisty freshman proved his big game chops with 15 points off the bench. The freshman point guard distributed the ball well and hit big shots all game. Felder had “it.” There was no doubting his abilities, which only served to improve his physical and skillful talents. After a historic Final Four run and PJ Dozier’s departure for the NBA, Felder looked set to be South Carolina’s point guard of the future.

Then, Felder got in some legal trouble, and once again, it was an incident in Five Points. Felder was suspended from the team and stopped taking classes for the fall semester of 2017. The suspension from game play carried throughout the entire season, when the Gamecocks could have desperately used him. Still, there was hope of a return, as Felder returned to school in the spring of 2018 and practiced with the team. 

Frank Martin was unspecific, but said that if Felder performed some duties that Martin had laid before him, Felder could play again in the fall of 2018. As recently as April 16, Martin said to The State, “I wanted him to get through the semester before I kinda make public some of the things we asked him to do.” 

But everything changed on Monday, as Martin said in a statement released that Felder was unable to do what was asked of him.

“When Rakym and I met to discuss his return to our program, there were certain things that I asked of him and unfortunately he has not met those expectations,” Martin said. “I’m disappointed that he did not take advantage of the opportunity to fully return to our program. We wish him the best with his future.”

It seems likely that Felder will seek another opportunity to play elsewhere, as he is a talented player. So, where does that leave his legacy? What Felder will leave behind is an odd dichotomy of success and wonderful memories for Gamecock fans, along with shattered dreams. 

Felder was the kind of player who could swing a game. Often, he came through for his team. He was supposed to help ease the transition from the greatest team in school history to the future, but ultimately let down the team and coach he loved so dearly. Felder’s loyalty and love for his team were always clearly shown, but he will end his time with the Gamecocks as a massive disappointment. 

On the court, Felder always seemed to come through. Off it, Felder failed to show his loyalty and dedication for his team. The team, which could have used him last year, absolutely needs him this year. He will not be there. 

So, Felder’s legacy will be this. He will forever be beloved by most fans. However, he will also be remembered as a huge “what if?” For better or for worse, Felder’s decorated, yet flawed Gamecock career is over. Gamecock fans will remember him fondly, miss him remorsefully and feel bitter disappointment over him.