Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Events to look out for

Sarah Gifford makes posters for the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes march against sexual assault and gender violence on Thursday, Sept. 17, 2015, at the University of Missouri Kansas City in Kansas City, Mo. (Keith Myers/Kansas City Star/TNS)

April is National Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and is devoted to educating people about sexual violence and consent. On a local level, USC requires that every student complete Haven, an online course dedicated to teaching incoming students about sexual assault. This week, the university will be holding multiple events for students hoping to learn more and participate in spreading awareness on campus. 

I’m Good. You Good?

This two-day event held by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Health Service’s Sexual Health Office, and the Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention and Prevention takes place on April 9 and 11 from 6-7:30 p.m. These two sessions will educate students about healthy relationships.

Walk a Mile in their Shoes

This march, beginning at the Statehouse at 5:30 p.m. on April 12, allows the community to show support for sexual assault survivors and raise awareness for sexual violence and the Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands. 

Students can find the Office of Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention and Prevention in the Thomson Building, or contact them at 803-777-8248. Reports can also be filed on the office's website.