Track and field secures three wins at Gamecock Invitational

The Gamecocks were able to prove themselves at the 2018 Gamecock Invitational this past Saturday at Sheila & Morris Cregger Track.

Not only did South Carolina perform at a high rate in Columbia, S.C., but two Gamecocks also finished well in Athens, Ga. this weekend at the Spec Towns Invitational. 

“It was a solid day. It’s already been a long season for our kids, but they all got a chance to participate today,” track and field head coach Curtis Frye said. 

A third victory for senior Aliyah Abrams was achieved at the Gamecock Invitational after competing in the 400m with a time of 53.79. However, for some players their achievements were celebrated for the first time. 

KD Young claimed her first victory of the outdoor season in women’s shot put. With this accomplishment, Young is now the sixth-best mark in South Carolina history with her final attempt of 52-4 1/2 and holds 11th place in the East Region this season. 

For the men, Josh Awotunde earned the men’s discus by throwing a 179-1, which is the 20th best mark in the East Region for the season. 

During the Spec Towns Invitational, Markus Leemet got the ball rolling in the second half of the Bulldog Decathlon on Saturday by finishing fourth with 7,351 points. This makes the ninth-best mark in the NCAA this season. Even with this accomplishment Frye thinks that Leemet has not met his full potential yet and is eager to see what he can achieve as he finishes out his final year.

“Markus has room to grow for the conference meet,” Frye said. “We’re looking for another 300 points from him. That puts him in position to be a contender to score at the NCAAs. That’s our goal—how many people can we get to the NCAA Championship?”

Along with Leemet, Lissa Labiche did not back down to her competition Saturday by finishing third in the high jump. This two-time Olympian is now ranked eighth in Carolina history with a mark of 5-7 1/4. 

There is much to be noted and to be improved upon for the Gamecocks after securing three more wins at the Gamecock Invitational. Even with Abrams' run of a 24-flat in the 200m, Frye is planning on throwing with Abrams next week and getting her into a faster race where she is not a favorite to win. In addition, Frye wants Tye Williams to get over seven feet in the high jump. 

Now, South Carolina will look to their next competition at the Tennessee Relays that will be held in Knoxville, Tenn. during April 12-14. 

“Next week we want to try to put a good 4x100 together and get [Ncincilili] Titi a good 100 meters so he can get a qualifying time,” Frye said. “Plus next week we open the shot put again ... Tennessee has some good throwers, and they’re bringing a good field down.”