Expectations high for new offensive coordinator

With the start of the season right around the corner, expectations for a more productive and efficient offense will be placed on new offensive coordinator, Bryan McClendon. Previously in charge of the wide receiving core, McClendon took over the reins of the offense after Kurt Roper was fired from the job before the Outback Bowl against Michigan last year.

In a game that resulted in a 26-19 victory for the Gamecocks, fans got a glimpse of what a new and improved offense could look like under McClendon. His leadership in that comeback win secured his new position.

However, with just one game to go from, it's difficult to pinpoint the philosophy that should be expected on Saturdays for this season. Michigan had one of the best defenses in the country last year, and the game itself was a tale of two halves. 

Nonetheless, McClendon won many fans over with his second half strategy. 

McClendon’s experience is with the receiving group, and he was the main recruiter for the athletes in line to have the ball in their hands in his offense. Fans can expect him to feature them in ways that display their talents. 

"It's an advantage to us being able to move at a fast pace," Deebo Samuel said of the wrinkles added in McClendon's offense. "The defensive coordinator always can't get a play in time."

Whether it be the ability to make a man miss in open space or even just highlighting a guy’s toughness and willingness to block for other teammates, McClendon is known for getting the best out of his players and putting them in positions to make winning plays. The hope for the Gamecocks is that continues as he moves up a rank to offensive coordinator. 

A quick paced offense will give ample opportunities to a number of weapons on the Gamecocks’ offense this year. McClendon hopes spreading the ball around will help the cohesion and explosiveness of the unit and their ability to keep defenses guessing. 

"You can see the belief I have in him and the job he's gonna do and how he positively affects our players which I think is really important," head football coach Will Muschamp said. "The continuity I do think is good, that we will tweak and change what we do, and based on what our players do best."