Equestrian team looks to build off positivity from last season

The South Carolina equestrian team has serious potential this season after adding several new riders to the program.

Despite a tough 2017 season, which ended with a 40-75 SEC record, one thing still remains: their charisma.

“We’re certainly looking to carry over the really positive attitude that we had last year," said head coach Boo Major. "I think we're gonna be able to do that, but now what we’d like to do ... we've got some talented freshmen coming in that we certainly want them to get on board.” 

Major is confident in her team's ability this season and is looking for leadership in her two captains: Madison Thiel and Madison Brayman.

“I think our captains will have experience in all of the events, which I do think that will really be a first,” Major said. 

Last season, Thiel rode 16 times in horsemanship with a 6-9-1 record. The junior finished with a 3-3 SEC record. 

During her first season at South Carolina, Brayman competed 15 times in both hunt seat disciplines while earning three MOP awards. She went 9-5-1 in equitation over fences and 7-7-1 in equitation on the flat. 

Major hopes to see the positivity from last season carry over and help build up her inexperienced team. 

“I do think we're going to have an upgrade in talent, but they're going to be young," Major said. "It’s always a learning curve. We are on the track of trying to improve, always improve. And change our tactics if we needed to, change our practice tactics, change our recruiting tactics and things like that and I think we have.”

South Carolina opens their season against SMU on Sept. 22. Major says her team has to take advantage of the opportunities presented to them in order to succeed while preparing as much as possible.

“That’s what we challenge them to do. If at the end of the day, you have left it all out there, then let the chips fall where they fall, then you’ve done the best you can do," said Major. "Be upset with yourself if you didn't practice enough, if you didn't work out in the weight room enough at the end of the day.”