Nixon looks to fill gaps with strong senior season

Keisean Nixon, a former Arizona Western junior college transfer, could be a game-changer for South Carolina this season. Returning for his senior season with the Gamecocks, Nixon looks to fill the holes left by recent departures on the defensive line and expand his playing versatility.   

Originally from Compton, California, Nixon played for rapper Snoop Dogg in the Snoop Youth Football League, a Pop Warner-age conference. The SYFL gave Nixon the opportunity to compete against some gifted young players who are at the collegiate and professional levels today.

“I played for the Compton Vikings and then [Snoop's] all star team," Nixon said. "Just being around him, a bunch of guys on our team played like in the league or in college, like JuJu Smith ... we all played on the same team.”

Nixon praised the opportunities and life skills that he learned from Snoop in his Pop Warner days. When asked about who was the worst coach to work under, between Snoop or head football coach Muschamp, there was little hesitation for Nixon. 

"Muschamp!"

It is clear that Muschamp strives to get the absolute best out of his players on the field. However, when Nixon was asked about how his coach is off the field, he had nothing but praise. 

"They probably see he’s just a mean coach, football wise, but he’s a great guy off the field ... asks about my family a lot," Nixon said. "Especially with me being from California, I'm far away."

As a new comer to South Carolina, Nixon spent last year making some big adjustments to his playing style to account for weather and other variables. Now going into his second season, he feels more prepared. 

"I had to get adjusted to the weather, plays and stuff like that ... Now, I had my first time ever going through workouts, period," he said. "So I’m in shape, comfortable.”

Nixon played in 12 games for the Gamecocks last season, which led to eight tackles and three turnovers. He saw much of his early time on the field on special teams, and shared the Jim Carlen Special Teams Player of the Spring honors with Steven Montac. 

Nixon didn't make his first start at cornerback until the Outback Bowl win over Michigan. It was that game where Nixon made his season-best four tackles.

The Gamecocks will look to Nixon for that skill-level even more this season as the team lost three starting players in the secondary from last season including Chris Lammons, Jamarcus King and D.J. Smith. In the absence of these players, Nixon will likely see an increased role and possibly playing time at nickelback. 

"Everybody learning positions, there's going to be a lot of moving around," Nixon said. 

If Nixon does see time at nickelback, it would be a change of skillset coming from the cornerback position. Nickelbacks combine skills from the cornerback and safety positions forming a tough hybrid of the two. 

Nixon knows he would have to play a different game if put in that position and create more physicality. Another area where Nixon could make a huge difference is on special teams. Muschamp highlighted the battle for the punt returner position at SEC Media Day this year. 

"Deebo will be our kickoff returner," Muschamp said. "We don't plan on fair catching any, and we'll have competition, as far as the punt returner is concerned, in camp.” 

Nixon sees this competition as an opportunity to challenge himself and possibly change the tide of close games. 

"You gotta be a different type of person to do it," Nixon said. "It changed the game. There’s three phases in a football offense, defense and special teams. So, you can flip the whole momentum of a game with a punt return.”

South Carolina fans can expect to see a huge impact on the field this season from Nixon as the senior back steps into his new role on defense.