Samuel and Bentley back in action

There is noticeable difference in the relationship between players who have endured the same struggles and made the same sacrifices as they grow together. South Carolina quarterback Jake Bentley and wide receiver Deebo Samuel have that dynamic.

From junior league ball to Williams-Brice Stadium, these two collegiate athletes have a chemistry that has been unstoppable on both sides of the ball.

“Me and Jake have been knowing each other since he was in the ninth grade,” Samuel said. “I mean we played against each other in the 7-on-7 tournament at Williams-Brice. That is when I first met him and he's been growing ever since then, ever since I played in an All-American game with his older brother so we had time to talk then. Then when we came to South Carolina, I mean we already had chemistry so I thought it’s better for us.” 

That chemistry was missing from the field last season when Samuel suffered an injury and missed the majority of the season. Now that Samuel is back, his health is his main priority. 

“The only goal that I have set for myself is to stay healthy,” Samuel said. 

With Samuel’s return, the offense scheme can reach its full potential. That gives Bentley the opportunity to be more versatile with the ball. Bentley looks to spin off of Samuel's explosiveness and use their bond to make an impact.

“I think it allows us to be a lot more multiple with him,” Bentley said. “And I think that we're gonna do a lot of cool things this year with him. Just being a special talent, just getting the ball in his hands anyway that we can. He might even throw us some touchdowns this year.”

These top offensive players for the Gamecocks will be put to the test as South Carolina prepares for another competitive season, but even though Bentley and Samuel have to focus on their roles as leaders, they never lose sight of being great friends and teammates. 

“Day in and day out, you'll see Jake come in there and be like ‘Deebo how are you doing?’" Samuel said. “And then he'll go talk to the trainers, making sure I'm doing the right thing that I need to do to get back on the field.”  

Samuel credits Bentley’s discipline on offense with helping lead the Gamecocks against top SEC competitors.

“You get the same thing off the field that you do if you get on the field. You get a leader. You get a hard worker. You get a guy that loves the game. Jake Bentley, he’s a really good guy and ... a good quarterback and he controls the offense.”

This dynamic offensive duo will have to live up to expectations this year to stand out in the SEC and regain focus with Samuel back in action.