Two South Carolina teams defeat rival Clemson, another chance to come

There is much to say when a team is able to execute and defeat a known rival. South Carolina has done just that this past week.

Gamecock women’s soccer team shut out the Clemson Tigers 1-0 Thursday night, securing the team's third consecutive win for the season. 

“It’s what we want to do when we come in here against our rival,” head coach Shelley Smith said. “Obviously, we want to get the win. We want to keep progressing as a team. I think tonight we did that.”

It took time for South Carolina to find the rhythm on offense, but success finally came during the second half. 

Sophomore Lauren Chang carried her team when she wedged between defenders and struck a goal in the bottom left corner.

“Honestly, I saw a great ball coming in and their back line was a little bit ball watching and so I'm a left footed player but I got it, brought it down and they were cutting off my left foot so I decided to go inside to the right and the goal really opened up on the far post," Chang said.

With this 1-0 victory, the Gamecocks earned the first Palmetto Series rivalry point of the year. 

The competition grew even more over the weekend when volleyball defeated Clemson in the finale of the Gamecock Invitational tournament.

South Carolina secured a 3-0 victory over Clemson while junior Mikayla Shields earned MVP honors with seven digs and finishing with 10 kills. 

The Gamecocks now have four straight wins over the Tigers, the longest win streak for one of the teams since 1989.

These two wins over South Carolina’s biggest rival gave both teams a point in the Palmetto Series. The men’s soccer team will face Clemson Friday, Aug. 31 starting at 7 p.m. at Stone Stadium.

Last season the Gamecocks suffered a  1-4 loss against the Tigers. In hopes to gain redemption this week, South Carolina looks to improve within its team. 

Head coach Mark Berson will look for his striking force: Luca Mayr, Ben Gilligan and Justin Sukow to execute on offense.

The expectations for this game are extremely high as South Carolina has experienced talent, including14 letterwinners.

When the two teams last met in Columbia, fans set a new single-game attendance record of 6,892. 

A win would put the Gamecocks up 3-0 in the third annual Palmetto Series. South Carolina won the competition in its first two years.