South Carolina begins conversations about make-up football game in 2018

After the Sept. 15 game against Marshall was canceled because of Hurricane Florence, South Carolina football has been exploring options to add a 12th game to the schedule. 

While athletics director Ray Tanner did not release any specific details, he did confirm to media that the Gamecocks are “having conversations” with other schools. 

“There are a lot of balls in the air. We're going to attempt to play a 12th game, if possible,” Tanner said to The State. “It’s not an easy process.”

Tanner told The State that he has been in contact with Marshall and is also talking with “two or three” other schools.  

South Carolina does not have a game scheduled for Oct. 20 or Dec. 1. Oct. 20 is the team’s previously scheduled bye week, and Dec. 1 is the date of the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta.  

Muschamp stated on the “Carolina Calls” radio show that he would prefer to not schedule a 12th game on Oct. 20. If a game were to be played on that date, it would mean that the Gamecocks would play on 10 straight Saturdays without a bye week.  

“I’m not sure playing 10 straight games is what’s best for the student-athletes,” Muschamp said on his radio show. “That’s very difficult. That’s something Tanner and I will have discussions about.” 

Regardless of when the game happens, the game is most likely to be played in Columbia, and not at another team’s stadium or at a neutral site. 

“As we sit here today, my interest is playing at Williams-Brice,” Tanner told The State. “I’ll exhaust all resources to play another home game in Columbia.” 

While Tanner did not say which other schools besides Marshall are possibilities, there are two nearby teams that could also come into play. Both East Carolina and UNC canceled their Sept. 15 games because of Hurricane Florence. 

South Carolina last played UNC in 2015 and defeated the Tarheels 17-13. The Gamecocks also open up the 2019 season against UNC in Charlotte. The Gamecocks last played East Carolina in 2016, where they defeated the Pirates 20-15. 

But no matter what happens with the schedule, Muschamp told listeners he intends to play on Dec. 1 — in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. 

“I plan on playing [in the SEC Championship] that weekend,” Muschamp said on his radio show.