McGrane and Bauer continue to compete for keeper position

Two of South Carolina men’s soccer players have waiting in the wings to develop their talent in pursuit of a starting role at goalie. Which one will secure the role permanently remains to be seen.

For senior goalkeeper Ian McGrane, his time came in his first career start against the Georgetown Hoyas, making a total of seven saves in that game. Since then, McGrane has been a key component of the Gamecocks' rebuilding year.  

“Ian had his opportunity in the early part of the year and has done great,” said head coach Mark Berson. 

During McGrane’s first start, Berson was impressed with how he managed the game and controlled the back line.

McGrane has made 22 saves for South Carolina in the goal and has helped paved the way for sophomore Justin Bauer to earn some time on the field during the second half of the Wofford game. Berson said this was an opportune time for South Carolina to play both of its keepers. 

“This wasn’t a situation where we’re really unhappy with Ian at all, we just have two really good goal keepers right now,” he said. 

Despite notching just one save this season, Bauer has bounced back from a minor injury from summer league and finally has gotten the strength to dominate in the net. 

Berson said his team needed to keep Bauer “sharp,” and as a result, he was able to get some minutes in goal and did “great” in Berson’s eyes.

Both McGrane and Bauer have the opportunity to gain or keep a starting role for the Gamecocks. The position was up for grabs once former starter Will Plye graduated. 

“So going forward we will be whoever we feel like is in the best position to get the shutout and to help us will be in there and the other two guys both have great futures ahead of them and we have great confidence in them," Berson said. "Really happy with all our goal keepers, Tyler Kettering's done a great job training them, they are all ready to go.”