South Carolina's speed on offense results in victory over Wake Forest

South Carolina focused on offensive domination as it squared off against Wake Forest on Thursday and claimed a fifth straight home win on the season.

With the Gamecocks coming off a big win against Purdue, Wake Forest was unable to execute anything in goal against South Carolina’s keeper, Mikayla Krzeczowski. 

The Gamecocks' mobility helped them to overcome the slow pace of the game that both teams carried at the start. 

Patience was essential for each team as they tried to secure possession on offense and defense. The Gamecocks looked to capitalize on the long ball while on defense in order to make smooth transitions.

Defender Grace Fisk's ability to carry the ball on both sides of the field was on display as South Carolina looked to gain momentum. 

“From scout, we knew they were going to be a good team going forward,” Fisk said. “They scored a lot of goals coming into this, so we knew we had to stay tight and compact. I think we did a really good job of that tonight. They didn't really threaten our goal that much ... I think as a backline and even as a midfield we really contained them.”

After working past Wake Forests’ compact defensive line, the Gamecocks found their opportunity off a corner kick in the first half. 

Midfielder Jyllissa Harris headed the ball in the goal and scored the first point for South Carolina in the 32nd minute. Head coach Shelley Smith praised Harris' ability to execute. 

“She stepped into a starting role for us and well deserved,” she said. “She’s been dominating in there at times. She’s definitely has the athleticism, but she also has the composure, the skill, the awareness to step in, which is tough for a freshman to do, so big credit to her.”

South Carolina was also able to execute during the second half when forward Elexa Bahr made her first start of the season.

The Gamecocks used their speed on offense to outdrive the Deacons' backline and ultimately push the ball past them to score another goal in the 62nd minute. 

“One v. one, wow,” Bahr said. “For a second, I thought I was going to pass the ball, but then I saw that nobody else was there, and I was like ... ‘just keep calm, finish your opportunities and everything will be good.’’’  

This 2-0 victory for South Carolina comes as the team prepares to head into regular conference play.

“I think we did a great job to play against a very good team," Smith said. "And Wake, they're a solid team and I thought we made good decisions in our final third, when to turn them, when to get to the end line, when we had to serve early. I thought we executed well in our attacking third.” 

The Gamecocks now hold a five-game win streak at home on the season. They'll face Coastal Carolina on Sunday at Stone Stadium starting at 6 p.m. to end the non-conference portion of their season.