D.J. Wonnum to return for Gamecocks against Volunteers

For the first time since the 2018 season opener against Coastal Carolina, junior defensive lineman D.J. Wonnum will return to the field when the South Carolina Gamecocks (3-3, 2-3 SEC) take on the Tennessee Volunteers (3-4, 1-3 SEC) at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday. 

Head football coach Will Muschamp is aware of Wonnum's talent and what he brings to the team. Having him back on the gridiron will give the Gamecocks a defensive edge that has been missing for some of this year.

“Obviously, [Wonnum] is a very productive player in his two years here at South Carolina,” Muschamp said to the media. “Really, you see a lot of people offensively have really attacked our edges defensively in my opinion. In the run game, he adds another dimension to us as far as a pass rusher is concerned.” 

The pass rush is one area of the Gamecock defense that has not been as productive in 2018, and not having Wonnum in the lineup has contributed to that issue on that side of the ball.  

One of the strong points of the 2017 football team, which won nine games last year, was the pass rush and the ability to get to the quarterback at key moments in the game. 

In 2017, the Gamecock defense was able to sack the opposing quarterback 26 times compared to this year’s sack total of 10. 

It is also no secret that forcing turnovers, especially interceptions, will put a team in position to win games as well. This year, the Gamecocks have forced only 5 interceptions and boast a turnover margin of -5, which is ranked 113th in the country. 

Last year, the Gamecocks forced 14 interceptions and had a turnover margin of +11, which was the 13th best in the country. 

Wonnum, having waited almost two months to get back out on the field, is ready to play again and help this team finish out the second half of the football season.  

“Oh, I can’t wait, man,” said Wonnum. “It feels like I’ve been waiting forever, but I’m ready to get back out there.” 

Wonnum knows that this is a team sport and a team game, but feels that he will be able to help this team accomplish what they want to accomplish while he is back on the field. 

“Pass rushing, versatility, just doing different things I feel like will help us,” said Wonnum. 

Wonnum also will be able to help this team not just on the field, but in the locker room and on the sideline as well. Muschamp is confident that his leadership will help this team beyond what happens on the field. 

“From a leadership standpoint or a present standpoint, (he is) a guy that's got lot of respect in the locker room. He's one of three players in school history that have been voted a team captain in their true sophomore year,” said Muschamp. “That says a lot about the respect that D.J. has in the locker room and the type young man he is. When he is on the practice field, the way he practices, the way he goes about his business, he helps our football team improve and get better.”