How to make the best of early morning tailgates

Other than the game itself, tailgating is the highlight of game day in Columbia. Regardless of where you set up your party, it’s a necessary part of the atmosphere at Williams-Brice Stadium. 

This week’s game against Missouri is at noon. And while it may not be an ideal time for some Gamecock fans, it is no excuse to ditch the pregame party all together. Check out these tips for your early morning Family Weekend tailgate. 

Drink water: 

This is important to remember, especially if you or your parents aren’t used to the heat that comes with being in Columbia. It might be October, but it will still be hot. The forecast calls for 89 degrees with mostly sunny skies. Staying hydrated will be key, since it will only get hotter as the game goes on. You can also bring one unopened bottle of water from the tailgate into the stadium that you can refill throughout the game. It will save you some money and is an easy way to stay hydrated at both your tailgate and your seat. 

Fill up on food: 

One of the best parts of a tailgate is the food that comes with it. Traditional tailgate food like burgers and hot-dogs might not be ideal for an early tailgate, but you still have lots of options. There is a Bojangles just a few feet from the stadium, so if you haven’t had a chance to try one of Columbia’s most divine eating establishments, this is a great chance to do so. You can also cook your own biscuits and sausage on a portable grill. No matter which route you take, there are plenty of ways to fill your stomach before a day full of football. 

Music: 

No tailgate is complete without music, and it can be one of the simplest parts of your pregame experience. All you need is a smartphone that can connect to a Bluetooth speaker or some kind of sound system to play your music. The key is to create your Spotify or Apple Music playlist beforehand, so that the music is always playing while you enjoy your tailgate with your parents and classmates. It’s a part of tailgating that can be overlooked, but can make a good tailgate a great one.