Gamecocks fall to Marshall on Senior Night

The South Carolina men’s soccer team failed to qualify for the postseason after losing 2-1 to the Marshall Thundering Herd in second overtime on Senior Night. 

South Carolina needed a victory to make the C-USA tournament and keep its season alive. The Gamecocks came into this match with a 6-9-0 record on the season and in eighth place in the conference standings. Only the top seven teams in the C-USA standings qualify for the conference tournament. 

South Carolina got off to a fast start in the first half with four shots in the first 25 minutes. With 37 minutes remaining in the first half, Tucker Monheimer scored a goal to put the Gamecocks up 1-0. 

This was Monheimer’s third goal of the season, and it was the earliest goal in a match for South Carolina all season. Marshall’s goalkeeper, Paulo Pita, kept the Gamecocks from scoring any more with three saves in the first half. 

“We not only had a lot of shots and a goal, but we had two other great chances,” head coach Mark Berson said. “That’s just how it bounces sometimes.”  

With 31 minutes remaining in the first half, Marshall’s Vinicius Fernandes tied the game with his third goal of the season. Marshall had two shots and one corner kick in the first 25 minutes of the game.

South Carolina finished the first half with a total of eight shots and four corner kicks. Marshall finished the first half with four shots and one corner kick. The score was tied 1-1 going into halftime.

The Thundering Herd started the second half with three shots in the first few minutes but failed to capitalize. South Carolina goalkeeper, Ian McGrane, kept Marshall off the board with two saves in the second half. 

South Carolina would end the second half with five shots and three corner kicks, while Marshall had eight shots and two corner kicks. The game remained tied at the end of the second half, forcing a first overtime period.

This would be the fifth overtime game of the season for South Carolina. The Gamecocks lost three out of the four prior overtime matches coming into this game.

According to Berson, the attitude was "good, the guys were determined" before going into overtime. 

In the first overtime period, South Carolina’s Petter Soelberg shot a ball off the post, just missing the golden goal.

Marshall was later awarded a corner kick but was not able to capitalize. The game remained tied going into the second and final overtime period.

Marshall’s Jamil Roberts scored the game-winning goal for the Thundering Herd with just over three minutes remaining in the second overtime period. 

“It’s disappointing. But sometimes you get the breaks, and sometimes you don’t,” Berson said. “It was a great game between two teams that went full out all night, and we just didn’t get the result tonight.”  

The Gamecocks fall to 6-10-0 on the season and are eliminated from the C-USA tournament. South Carolina will wrap up the regular season Friday, Nov. 2 on the road against FIU at 7 p.m.