Gamecocks take on Volunteers in first home night game of season

For the third week in a row, the Gamecocks will take on an SEC opponent at home. This time, however, the game will be played under the lights at Williams-Brice Stadium. 

South Carolina (3-3, 2-3 SEC) will take on the Tennessee Volunteers (3-4, 1-3 SEC) at 7:30 p.m., which makes this the first night game at Williams-Brice this season. While that certainly will get players and fans excited, there are lots of other storylines that make this an intriguing and crucial game for the Gamecocks.

Tennessee is in the middle of a program rebuild, but the team still presents challenges for the Gamecocks. South Carolina head football coach Will Muschamp commended the Volunteers for both their play at quarterback and on the defensive side of the ball. 

“Jarrett Guarantano is a quarterback [who has completed] over 60 percent of his passes ... but what really strikes you when you watch the tape is the deep balls,” said Muschamp at Williams-Brice Stadium on Tuesday. “He’s got a good core of receivers that do a really good job down the field, finishing on plays down the field.” 

Through seven games, Guarantano has completed 85 of his 135 passing attempts, which is a 63 percent completion rate. He has thrown for 1,192 yards, six touchdowns and two interceptions, which makes him the 10th best passing quarterback in the SEC. 

The defensive side of the Volunteers will be one of the best that the Gamecocks have faced all season. Tennessee has talent on that side of the ball and statistically has the 10th best defensive unit in the SEC.

“Defensively, [Tennessee head coach] Jeremy [Pruitt] is running that side of the ball and doing a really good job,” said Muschamp. “It starts with their three seniors up front. Those guys have done a nice job for them ... we got our work cut out for us.”

For the Gamecocks, they are coming off their scheduled bye week and will have junior defensive lineman D.J. Wonnum back on the field, who was injured against Coastal Carolina. Muschamp said that Wonnum practiced on Tuesday, and will be ready to go for Saturday. 

Wonnum is just as eager as anyone to take on the Tennessee Volunteers on Saturday. 

“Oh, I can’t wait, man,” said Wonnum. “It feels like I’ve been waiting forever, but I’m ready to get back out there.”

Wonnum’s absence has been noticeable for the Gamecocks this year as the defensive unit has not been as productive as it was in 2017. So far in the 2018 season, the Gamecocks have recorded just 10 sacks and 5 interceptions. Last season, the Gamecocks had 26 sacks and 14 interceptions.

Having him back for the pass rush against the Volunteers could help the Gamecocks in an area that has been a weak spot through the first six games.

Offensively, the Gamecocks will start Jake Bentley for the second game in a row, who has had a somewhat disappointing 2018 season. Even after a bye week, Bentley is ready to get back on the field and to continue to improve as the season goes on.

“Really focused on taking care of the ball [during the bye week], and then just doing whatever we can to make a play,” said Bentley. “Just working on a lot of stuff to get more productive offensively.”

Wonnum, Bentley and the rest of the South Carolina Gamecocks will take on the Tennessee Volunteers in what is sure to be an electric environment at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. and can also be seen on the SEC Network.