South Carolina football commit Ryan Hilinski to visit Saturday

Class of 2019 quarterback Ryan Hilinski is set to visit South Carolina this Saturday when the Gamecocks face the Tennessee Volunteers in the first night game of the season. 

Lately there have been questions about Jake Bentley's role at quarterback, and Hilinski's visit has started some chatter. This will be Hilinksi's first time on the sidelines of a regular season game since committing to South Carolina in April. 

After the Gamecocks' recent struggles, some speculated Hilinski might flip his decision to a team with a stronger season. When Hilinski announced his visit on Twitter saying "Home is where the heart is. I’m a gamecock through and through!" Gamecock fans were reassured his commitment would stay with South Carolina. 

Hilinski comes with an impressive record. He is one of the top five quarterbacks in the nation for his class and was chosen to participate in the Pro Football Hall of Fame World All-Star Bowl on Dec. 22 in Mexico City. Only the top 70 high school players in the world were selected.

South Carolina was the first school to offer Hilinski a place on its team. Hilinski said he knew that Muschamp would be a vital coach for his collegiate career and would create a family atmosphere. 

"It just seems to me that he's a great guy and he's a family guy and that's a big deal to me and my family," Hilinski said. 

Hilinski's personal background played a large role in his decision as well. After Hilinski lost his brother Tyler Hilinski, the former Washington State quarterback, Hilinski was determined to continue his football journey.

“I’m going to do everything that Tyler wanted to do with football," Hilinski said. "I’m going to do that for Tyler, to honor him.” 

Hilinski hopes to wear number three after committing to South Carolina to keep his promise to honor his brother.

Kickoff for the game against Tennessee is at 7:30 p.m., and Gamecock Nation will see Hilinski under the lights of the sideline at Williams-Brice on Saturday.