Parking for South Carolina vs Texas A&M to be altered due to the State Fair

The South Carolina Gamecocks (3-2, 2-2 SEC) will take on the Texas A&M Aggies (4-2, 2-1 SEC) on Oct. 13 at Williams-Brice Stadium, but the game will not be the only event taking place on George Rogers Boulevard. 

Because the South Carolina State Fair lot is across the street from Williams-Brice and serves as a popular tailgating spot, parking and tailgating around the stadium will be different than normal. 

In a release from the University of South Carolina Athletics Department, the South Carolina State Fair will direct all Fairgrounds lot parking, instead of the university like during the other home football games. University of South Carolina director of parking services Jim Petrus is asking fans to plan accordingly and to arrive earlier than usual. 

“We anticipate traffic delays around the stadium and fairgrounds,” Petrus said. “We encourage all fans to arrive as early as possible on Saturday to help alleviate the heavy traffic congestion that will occur closer to game time.” 

Parking in the Fairground lot will be $5 per vehicle and will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis. Gamecock Club parking passes that would otherwise be valid will not be honored before the Texas A&M game. All vehicles must enter the Fairgrounds through Gate 6 or Gate 10, while Gates 7, 8 and 9 will be exit only gates. In addition, tents, awnings, chairs and grills will be prohibited. 

Those without parking passes are encouraged by the university to park in the lots near 650 Lincoln and Colonial Life Arena and use the shuttle to get to the stadium. The shuttle is free for all students, but costs $3 for those without a Carolina Card. 

Other tailgating lots not associated with the university will operate as normal, even with the South Carolina State Fair in town. 

Regardless of where fans park, the Gamecocks will take on the Aggies at 3:30 p.m. at Williams-Brice Stadium. Those not in Columbia can see the game on the SEC Network.