South Carolina battles through to get late victory against Tennessee

South Carolina overcame a slow start against Tennessee Saturday night to secure a close win over the Volunteers and improve to 4-3 on the season. 

Despite a sluggish first half, a solid second half push led the team to a 27-24 victory over their SEC East foe.  

The Gamecocks were able to stay in the game in the first half by taking advantage of the inconsistent throws from Tennessee quarterback Jarrett Guarantano and managing to hold their defensive line. 

South Carolina was able to create an attacking game against the Volunteers, which ultimately secured their victory. Defensive lineman D.J. Wonnum found his place back at Williams-Brice coming off an injury that kept him out of most of the first half of the season.

With two sacks and three solo tackles in his first game back, Wonnum's teammates said he was what the Gamecocks needed to stop Tennessee's run game.

“Just working with him, competing with him, it just makes my job a lot easier,” said Bryson Allen-Williams of Wonnum. 

South Carolina's offense responded quickly to Tennessee's lead at the half leveling off their energy and stepping up their offensive run game. 

The Gamecocks managed to turn the tide late in the third quarter with a touchdown pass to Ty’Son Williams, making the score 22-24 with the Gamecocks still behind. The equalizing play came in the form of Bentley’s two-point conversion shortly thereafter,, which made the score 24-24 going into the fourth quarter. 

With just over a minute remaining in the fourth quarter, Wonnum sacked Guarantano to secure the 27-24 win after a Parker White field goal put the Gamecocks ahead.

South Carolina focused on their run game against the Volunteers and, according to running back Rico Dowdle, that is something that Muschamp said South Carolina had to do.   

Dowdle added that South Carolina is working on addressing some of its recent offensive inconsistencies.

“Coach told us that we had to run it, if we wanted to win the football game that we had to run the football,” said Dowdle. 

It is evident that this was a point of focus at practice over the bye week, as South Carolina gained 376 yards offensively in 56 plays. Dowdle himself rushed 140 yards over the whole game, more than any of his teammates by almost fourfold, setting a career-high. 

The game-winning field goal by sophomore kicker Parker White ensured that head coach Will Muschamp could hold onto his undefeated record against the Volunteers for another year.  

However, the Gamecocks acknowledged their inconsistent flow from start to finish and said they know something needs to change going into the rest of the season. 

“You know, I think it’s just maybe a deal of getting too high or too high emotionally. I don’t know what it is, but we’re gonna figure it out, and it will be something we’re gonna focus on going forward, especially going on the road,” Bentley said.

Muschamp said he hopes the improvements on offense help South Carolina gain the momentum that they have been looking for this season.

“[They’re] going to enjoy tonight and look forward to those opportunities down the road," Muschamp said.

South Carolina will look to continue this upward trend when they take on Ole Miss on the road next Saturday, Nov. 3.