South Carolina defeats Lander in exhibition match

The South Carolina women’s basketball team took care of business on Friday night in an exhibition match as they defeated Division II opponent Lander 100-62.

The Gamecocks came out of the locker room strong as they started off the game on a 12-4 run. South Carolina was able to do so by forcing numerous turnovers and taking advantage of Bearcat fouls as they shot 80 percent from the free throw line in the first quarter.

The Bearcats came roaring back into the game by living and dying by the 3-pointer as they shot 50 percent from behind the arch in the first quarter. Despite this 3-point surge by Lander, the Gamecocks’ offense continued to consistently make baskets.

After the first quarter, head coach Dawn Staley elected to put in some of her younger players such as freshman guard Destanni Henderson who scored 28.6 percent of South Carolina’s points in the second quarter.

The Gamecocks continued to force turnovers and hit free throws in the second quarter but were unable to pull away from the Bearcats as Lander’s offense was able to bring pressure and score in the paint in the second quarter. 

After halftime, South Carolina dominated on all cylinders by outscoring Lander 20-8, forcing 11 turnovers, and controlling the pace of play in the third quarter. However, South Carolina did have troubles shooting from beyond the arch by only making one out of the seven attempted threes in the third.

“We have to figure out ways in which to score from the 3-point line,” said Staley. “something that has been our nemesis over the past few years so we’re going to force the issue.”

South Carolina continued to roll as the Gamecocks went on a 14-2 run to start the final quarter and ultimately outscored the Bearcats, 29-13 in the fourth. This offensive surge was mainly accredited to junior guard Te’a Cooper who scored 14 points in the fourth quarter alone.

South Carolina would finish the game with a total of 29 forced turnovers and outrebounded Lander, 59-31.

With this exhibition game underway, Staley hopes to use this game as something her players can look at before the start of the regular season.

“Our players needed to see where they’re open and where they’ll get open shots,” said Staley. “Now that they know, because we have a real game to look at and scrutinize.”

The Gamecocks will look to continue their dominant play as they start the regular season on the road against the Alabama State Hornets on Nov. 11 at 4 p.m. EST.