Review: USC'S Platonov is intricate, thought-provoking

A tangled web of love and lust, combined with a family's looming financial difficulties and a common trend of drinking problems made for an interesting performance in USC's Department of Theatre and Dance's "Platonov." 

Even before the play began, audience members were given a hint of the world that "Platonov" would offer. The stage was close to the audience, set with a few props, and folk Russian music played, allowing for a more intimate viewing. There were two sets of stairs lined along each side of the stage with an upper level that was used throughout the play. 

The set was simple, yet distinct from typical play settings. It was more intricately designed because of the multiple levels and different entrances and exits, rather than a flat stage with wings on either side. This allowed for the small stage to appear bigger and to encompass more settings. 

The play began with Nikolai Ivanovich Triletski, played by Tim Giles, and Anna Petrovna Voynitseva, played by Jennifer Moody-Sanchez, playing chess and conversing. The rest of the characters made their appearances later, leading to a rambunctious family gathering with complex character relationships. 

The play centered around the titular Platonov, played by Can Yasar. Platonov was a sour, yet charming schoolteacher. Despite playing jokes and setting up his friends and family for confusing banter, he was an integral part of their group. 

All the female characters in the show had some form of love for him, which played out throughout the acts. Platonov had a sense of charisma and soul that stole the show. His interactions with fellow cast members kept the audience intrigued and perplexed. 

There were many twists and turns that led to the audience to excitably question what would happen next. Each actor played out their characters to the fullest extent, making it hard to believe that they aren't said characters in real life. 

USC's Department of Theatre and Dance's production of "Platonov" was quite successful. The production was intriguing, entertaining and allowed audience members to reflect on their own lives after leaving the show. 

This adaptation of Anton Chekhov's "Platonov" is at Longstreet Theatre until Nov. 17. Tickets can be bought online or at the venue.