Gamecocks look to continue SEC winning streak at Florida

After a Valentine’s Day win against the Georgia Bulldogs, the Gamecock women’s basketball team will seek to continue its six-game SEC winning streak. 

On Sunday, No. 11 South Carolina (18-6, 10-1 SEC) heads to Gainesville, Florida to take on Florida (6-18, 2-9 SEC). This will be the second game between the Gamecocks and Gators this season. 

The Gators are coming off a week-long break after being blown out 93-58 by Georgia last Sunday. Despite the game being a loss for Florida, they have a few strong players, such as sophomore guard Kiara Smith who led the Gators in points and rebounds with 15 points and seven rebounds.

Although Florida has had not much success in SEC play with only two conference wins on the season, the Gators have been able to beat talented teams such as Missouri, fourth in the SEC standings, by a score of 58-56.

The Florida defense was able to hold Missouri's First Team All-SEC junior guard Sophie Cunningham to just four points during that game. 

However, the Gators weren't as successful in their first game against the Gamecocks where South Carolina won by a score of 71-40.

In South Carolina’s win over Florida last month ago, four Gamecocks scored double digits, including redshirt senior guard Bianca Cuevas-Moore who led the Gamecocks in scoring with 16 points.

Florida head coach Cam Newbauer and the Gators will likely look to stop Gamecock senior forward Alexis Jennings who leads the team in rebounds with 5.8 per game and also averages 10.3 points per game.

South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks will keep an eye on Gators redshirt senior guard Funda Nakkasoglu, who leads Florida in points with an average of 16.5 points per game, and junior guard Delicia Washington, who leads the team in rebounds with an average of 7.7 rebounds per game.

South Carolina and Florida will tip off at 2 p.m. on Sunday at the Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center in Gainesville, Florida. The game can be streamed online on SEC Network Plus.