South Carolina pitcher shows out in win against The Citadel

The South Carolina baseball team (10-2) secured a 9-0 win against The Citadel (5-6) with stellar pitching by starting sophomore right-handed pitcher TJ Shook and sophomore left-handed pitcher John Gilreath Tuesday night. 

In 6.1 innings of work, Shook recorded a career-high 12 strikeouts while only allowing one hit for The Citadel.

“He was throwing everything for strikes,” head coach Mark Kingston said. “Fastball command, changeup was a plus pitch, with plus command, the breaking ball was good, just throwing all of his pitches for strikes and getting ahead of hitters.” 

Gilreath came in to finish the job in the seventh and accounted for four strikeouts, with the Bulldogs only being able to manage another hit off the Gamecocks in the rest of the game.

“I thought Shook and Gilreath were excellent on the mound tonight,” Kingston said. “And they kind of set the tone for everybody else.” 

Shook and Gilreath not only put up great numbers on the stat sheet, but they also showed up in clutch situations for South Carolina throughout the game. Shook did so early in the second inning by striking out Bulldogs freshman Will Bastian and forcing a pop out to shortstop by Bulldogs redshirt freshman infielder Tilo Skole, as The Citadel was threatening with runners on second and third with only one out.

The Gamecocks continued that momentum in the bottom of the second, scoring eight of their nine total runs of the game and six hits, including a couple of home runs by sophomore outfielder Andrew Eyster and junior infielder George Callil.

The Gamecocks posted another run in the sixth inning and secured their tenth victory of the season.

After sophomore right-handed pitcher Carmen Mlodzinski was injured in last Friday’s game at Clemson, there was uncertainty coming into tonight's game on who would be placed into the Gamecocks starting weekend rotation.

Kingston believes Shook's Tuesday performance may have been an audition.

“When you strike out 12 guys on one hit in six-plus innings, you’re in the conversation.” Kingston said. 

South Carolina will take the field once again on Wednesday night against the Gardner-Webb Bulldogs. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. at Founders Park and can be streamed online on SEC Network Plus.