Gamecock baseball falls to Auburn in series finale

<p>The South Carolina baseball team gathers together before the Friday night game against Auburn at Founders Park.</p>
The South Carolina baseball team gathers together before the Friday night game against Auburn at Founders Park.

South Carolina baseball lost to the Auburn Tigers in the series finale on Sunday, marking the third-straight SEC series loss for the Gamecocks.

The Gamecocks jumped out to an early lead after loading the bases with an RBI walk from Chris Cullen, scoring TJ Hopkins.

Auburn quickly responded with six runs in the second inning. Auburn player Will Holland started the scoring off with a two-run home run.

South Carolina starting pitcher TJ Shook then gave up two walks before being replaced by Cam Tringali. Auburn scored one off an RBI single by Kason Howell, followed by a three-run home run by Edouard Julian.

"He couldn't control the bleeding," head coach Mark Kingston said regarding TJ Shook's performance. "That's not acceptable for a guy that's been in the program that long."

Auburn followed up the second with an unearned run by Holland, who was hit by a pitch and stole home.

The action was minimal until the eighth inning when the Gamecocks scored two runs via home runs by Ian Jenkins and George Callil, narrowing Auburn's lead to two.

In the ninth inning, Hopkins and Noah Campbell both singed to reach base. The Gamecocks then had three-straight fly outs to end the game, giving Auburn a 7-5 victory and a series win.

"We made improvements this weekend, but it's still not good enough because we are here to win," Kingston said.

The Gamecocks will face NC State on Tuesday night in Charlotte at 7 p.m.