Cadie Bates goes court to court, transfers to South Carolina

Cadie Bates, a volleyball player and graduate transfer from Duke University, celebrated a second senior day in the sand instead of the court. Bates shifted from indoor volleyball to beach volleyball in order to transfer to the University of South Carolina. 

“I think it was definitely a hard transition going from a senior in a leadership role to then coming here and having to play beach, which I hadn’t played before," Bates said, "As I've progressed here and learned more of the game, I've been able to be more myself.”  

Though indoor and beach volleyball sound like the same game on different playing fields, the two sports incorporate different concepts, rotations and game plans.

“My biggest adjustment, I think, would just be ready and willing to adjust to whatever the circumstance is," Bates said. "Just go 100% for everything.” 

Bates ended her second senior day with South Carolina winning matches against Tulane and Missouri State, bringing the school's record to 17-8. On April 13, Bates and her teammate Shannon Williams dropped the first match to Tulane on the one-seeded court, but bounced back to beat Missouri State later in the day. 

Bates ended the regular season going 22-10 as an individual and 22-9 as a duo with her partner Katie Smith. Their 22 wins are the third most wins in a single season in USC history. Together, they won Coastal Collegiate Sports Association pair of the week after wins against Florida Gulf Coast University, Hawaii, TCU and UAB at the Gamecock Challenge Tournament. The pair also picked up wins throughout the season against many ranked teams such as Hawaii, Georgia State, LSU and Grand Canyon. 

For the 2018 season, Bates was also an American Volleyball Coaches Association Top Flight Honoree and qualified for the USA Volleyball Collegiate Championship, advancing to the quarterfinal round. 

Bates has no regrets in her decision, she said, even though transferring schools and pursuing a master's degree is an adjustment. 

"South Carolina is seriously the best place ever," Bates said. "The sport and entertainment management program it's so many experienced people that are the professors, and just the opportunities I’ve had in the classroom has been really awesome. But also, the coaching staff here is unlike no other. I’m just really blessed."