Gamecock softball set to host No. 4 Alabama

The No. 17 South Carolina softball team will face No. 4 Alabama at home this weekend at Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field. 

Friday’s game is set for 6 p.m. on SEC Network+. Saturday’s game will be shown at 6 p.m. on ESPN. The series finale is set for Sunday at 1 p.m. on SEC Network +. 

The Gamecocks currently have an overall record of 26-10, and will look to improve on their 3-8 conference record.

South Carolina has yet to win an SEC series this year after losses to Kentucky, Arkansas State, Ole Miss and LSU. Alabama is quite the opposite, having won all three of its SEC series this year.

The Gamecocks are coming off a 7-0 victory over UNC-Charlotte, which featured a strong pitching performance by sophomore Kelsey Oh. South Carolina will need that strong pitching performance along with run-scoring power in order to take down Alabama. 

Alabama comes into this weekend with a 37-2 overall record. The Tide is coming off of a commanding victory of their own, having taken down UAB 17-1 in only five innings.

The Gamecocks have not faced Alabama since 2017 when they split the two-game series. Alabama was ranked No. 9 at the time and the Gamecocks were still trying to find their way into the top 25.

Before Friday's matchup, the Gamecocks will be honoring the 1989 Women's College World Series and former head coach Joyce Compton will throw out the first pitch. The program will also retire the jersey of Trinity Johnson on Saturday. It will be South Carolina softball's first retired jersey.