Opinion: Journaling is transformative

As a college student, I understand how hectic juggling school and work can be while also trying to maintain a social life. It’s stressful, so it can become easy to stray away from a grounded and positive mindset. It is common for us to take for granted the positive things we already have in our lives while we are working towards building our futures. Often times we get so distracted by minor setbacks along the way that it has the ability to drastically shift our focus.

One way that I have reset my focus and priorities is through gratitude journaling. 

I stumbled upon gratitude journals this past semester and they have since become a part of my daily routine. Every night before I go to bed, I set aside time for journaling and reflecting on my day. The notebook that I use has a simple layout which allows space for three lines each day to write about what I am grateful for. 

There truly are no set rules as to what one can write about. It can be something as simple as doing well on an exam and having lunch with a friend or it can be something bigger such as having a roof over your head, your family or a job. 

Having a gratitude journal has given me the opportunity to take the time to reflect on what is going right in my world, no matter how hard my day has been. We get so consumed worrying about imperfections instead of focusing on what we already have right in front us. Often times our outlook is more negative than it should be.

We must not forget to be thankful for the positive people and influences in our life. 

I believe that self-reflection and introspection are two key components to the betterment of oneself. Setting a few minutes aside at the end of each day to sit down and review your actions and thoughts can help you improve your perspective on life and those you share it with. It can be a difficult journey, but it is imperative to not lose sight of what we should be thankful for and those who helped us out along the way.