Baby's first DIY show: An interactive adventure in mom jeans and mosh pits

default arts & culture A&C
default arts & culture A&C

Lo-fi. House shows. Goth kids. Punk kids. Folk singers. Hippies. Skaters. Artsy. Folksy. White trash, punk rock, weird stuff. Whatever you want to call it, Columbia has a growing scene of young musicians who write, produce and perform their own music. What's more, they create their own performance spaces; mostly by word of mouth. This ethos, most commonly referred to as DIY music, is a subculture of people making music and building community around art.

So, if you're new in town and you're interested in seeing what the Columbia (and greater South Carolina) art scene has to offer, you'll probably find yourself at some makeshift venue neck deep in a totally new community. Like any subculture, DIY music has its own norms and etiquette. You might ask yourself: How did I get here? Is that what a synthesizer looks like? How does a mosh pit work? Should I have worn glitter in my eye shadow? 

With this fun guide, you can learn mosh etiquette from the comfort of your own home. 

You’re new in town. A guy in your econ class liked your Morrissey T-shirt, so you guys started talking and he invited you to come to a show one of his friends is playing in. The only problem is, he cancels on you at the last minute, but you’re already decked out and ready to go! So, you follow your GPS to the address he gave you. It takes you to a ranch house in a neighborhood across town. Is this just someone’s house? Do you have the right address? It seems awfully quiet for a show. You spot two guys in high-waisted jeans walking toward the back of the house.

Choose one.

There’s no way you’re rolling up to this random, quiet little house. Reluctantly get back in the car and stop loitering in these nice people’s yard. 

Call out to the indie boys and ask if this is the show.