A Northerner's guide to the South

A little under half of USC's undergraduate population is traveling away from home states and countries, perhaps for the first time.

Trading the familiarity of home for this new landscape can be overwhelming, but it should also be exciting. I lived in the Midwest my whole life before venturing down to South Carolina, and let me tell you, the Ohio River has nothing on the Atlantic Ocean.

As you settle into your dorm and give your parents that final hug to last through Thanksgiving — or at least Family Weekend — try not to let the fear of the unknown get you down. Instead, take it from a Northerner that you will be fine and your time in Columbia will provide you with many opportunities to explore new landmarks, restaurants and towns that have never been so accessible. Even if you're a returning student, try to branch out this year and go someplace new. 

First and foremost, go to Charleston. Travel + Leisure magazine named it the best U.S. city for the seventh consecutive year and, fortunately for us, this quaint southern hot spot is less than a two-hour drive from campus.

Charleston captures the vibe of a small town despite hosting the state's largest population. In the heart of the city, visitors can find horses trotting down cobblestone streets illuminated by gas lanterns. Around every corner lies a landmark with some sort of historical relevance. Between ghost tours, military forts, beaches and a city market spanning four blocks, there really is something for everyone.

A lesser known gem just a little over two hours from Columbia, Beaufort is another must-visit. Think Charleston minus the chaotic crowds, plus "Forrest Gump." Several of the movie's iconic scenes were filmed in Beaufort, and Gump's box of chocolates was actually made at The Chocolate Tree, a local shop whose delicious offerings would warrant a visit even without its Hollywood connection. After taking some time to stroll down Bay Street and Waterfront Park, head to Hunting Island State Park for South Carolina's only publicly accessible lighthouse and a beach whose twisted-root tree line provides some great photo ops. 

On the drive to either Charleston or Beaufort, hop off exit 159 toward Bowman to experience, dare I say, the most pleasantly strange attraction in all of the Carolinas: The UFO Welcome Center. Though built for extraterrestrials, it has no shortage of earthly visitors. Do yourself a favor and avoid Googling pictures in advance. It'll make your first glimpse that much more memorable. 

On a similarly bizarre note, head about 50 minutes northeast to Bishopville, located exactly in the middle of nowhere. What it lacks in touristy small-town charm, it more than makes up for in its slew of off-the-beaten-path attractions, such as the Button King Museum and Pearl Fryar's topiary garden.

Most notably, the area is home to the Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp. Allegedly first encountered when attacking a 17-year-old's car in 1988, Lizard Man sightings have continued to pop up ever since. While no conclusive evidence has been offered in favor of the creature's existence, the beast's supposed footprint can be found on display inside the South Carolina Cotton Museum.

Charlotte, Asheville and Hilton Head are also within a few hours' drive, so Columbia is the prime spot for exploring the mountains, ocean and everything in between. Of course, not everybody has a means of transportation to make a weekend or day trip, but there's plenty of southern culture to experience in Columbia, too.

Palmetto Outdoors offers tubing or kayaking trips down the Congaree River. Yes, that majestically rocky river just outside of campus can be safely traveled at a reasonable price. A trip down the river is a great way to make friends and immerse yourself, quite literally, in the Carolina landscape.

For those not looking to spend money, Bicentennial Park has you covered. Sure, one could head down the road for a more scenic and well-constructed park experience at Riverfront, which has walking and biking paths, but there's just something about Bicentennial that draws you in. Be it the confusing boardwalk layout, wood planks inexplicably bolted to concrete or riverside signs warning of hazardous black sludge, this park's got character.

Finally — and this is a big one — there's a rite of passage that all Northerners must go through: a late-night meal at Cookout. The fast food joint is known for its extensive milkshake menu and its cheap meals where side options include corn dogs and chicken nuggets. It's beautiful in a greasy, artery-clogging kind of way, but beautiful nonetheless.

Like it or not, you're about to become a full-fledged Carolinian. "Y'all" will naturally flow off your tongue. You'll be called out on your pronunciation of the word "bag" or the way you say sneakers instead of tennis shoes. Your friends will try to make you eat some concerning goop called grits. Embrace all of the firsts with arms wide open, but don't forget your roots. Remember that you have some things worth sharing, too, so crack open a can of Skyline chili or whip up some Philly cheesesteaks. Above all else, call your mom.