Gamecock volleyball hopes to build off historic season with returning seniors

In 2018, the South Carolina volleyball program made school history. 

Under first-year head coach Tom Mendoza, the Gamecocks posted a 20-10 regular season record, propelling them to the NCAA tournament. There, they defeated Colorado in the first round to advance to their fifth-ever second round appearance, where they lost to No. 2 Minnesota by a score of 3-0.

In addition, it was the biggest single season turnaround for the Gamecocks in the modern era of South Carolina volleyball. The Gamecocks won eight more games in 2018, including seven more SEC victories. The seven-game improvement in the SEC was also the team's biggest conference improvement in school history.

To add to an already long list of accomplishments, it was South Carolina's 17th season with 20 or more wins, and the team surpassed 800 all-time wins as a program.

Now that the 2018 season is in the books, the Gamecocks and their seniors look to build off of last year's successes. 

Heading into 2019, three seniors who had a remarkable season look to once again prove themselves on the court for the Gamecocks. 

Mikayla Shields 

Mikayla Shields, a right side opposite from Orlando, Florida, was one of the team's stars in 2018. As a junior, she continued to rewrite the program's record book on the court. Shields has more than 1,000 career kills at South Carolina, earned back-to-back All-SEC honors and is the ninth Gamecock to hold that distinction. She also made the American Volleyball Coaches' Association (ACVA) All-Region team and the AVCA Honorable Mention All-American list. 

Courtney Koehler

Courtney Koehler, the setter from Asheville, North Carolina, has her name written throughout the Gamecock record book after the 2018 season. Last year, Koehler had 1,121 assists, which puts her in fourth place for most assists in a season during the rally-scoring era. She also is one of the SEC's best, averaging 10 assists per set, which is fifth in the entire conference. 

Brittany McLean

Brittany McLean, a left side outside hitter from Rosemount, Minnesota, was key to South Carolina's 20 wins and NCAA tournament appearance in 2018. She played in all 30 matches last season and recorded 301 total kills, which was the second most on the entire South Carolina squad. McLean also had 16 matches with double-digit kills, including seven of the last nine matches of the season. 

The Gamecocks will return to the court on Aug. 17 with a scrimmage at the Carolina Volleyball Center before going on the road for their first six matches of the season, starting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for the Panther Challenge. The home opener will take place on Sept. 10 when the Gamecocks take on the Charlotte 49ers.