South Carolina club sports allow students to get involved

There are plenty of ways to get involved at the University of South Carolina, especially for those who enjoy playing sports. The university offers 56 different club sports, so there are various options for any student looking for something to be a part of. Below are a few club sports the university has to offer.

Lacrosse

The University of South Carolina's lacrosse club team is the reigning 2019 Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association. The men's lacrosse team traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah to defeat the No. 1 Cal. These student athletes play in the Southeastern Lacrosse Conference (SELC) against teams in the SEC and across the country.

Soccer 

Open to men and women, club soccer is a good way to meet friends and play soccer at a competitive level while still having fun. Both club teams travel throughout the Southern region of the United States and play home games.

Volleyball 

Club beach volleyball is open to male and female competitors that play in doubles.

In the 2016-17 season, men's volleyball joined the Eastern Collegiate Volleyball Association (ECVA), which is the nation’s largest conference for men’s collegiate club volleyball. The men’s club volleyball team is always looking to grow and is interested in any skill level.

Women’s club volleyball is a competitive, fun and exhilarating sport for any female looking to compete.

Rugby

Club rugby is open to men and women, no experience needed. Games are held on the weekends in Columbia or throughout the southeast region. Rugby is an extremely physical sport that resembles American football without the pads.

Football 

These men play 11 on 11 full contact. Club football is in the NCFA South Atlantic Conference. The team plays various home and away games during the school year.

Baseball

Form lifetime friends playing America’s favorite pastime sport. Club baseball is a competitive sport in the National Club Baseball Association. 

Feedback from students 

Fourth-year student Alexis Kahl has been involved in club gymnastics since spring of 2018.

Gymnastics is one of the club sports the university offers that includes traveling. Many of the club sports have competitions at various universities.

"Gymnastics has impacted me in many ways. It has given me friends that I can always count on. Its taught me discipline and time management," Kahl said in an email.

Kelly Ann Krueger recently graduated from USC, where she played club rugby for three years. Krueger said rugby has given her a family. 

"We really were like sisters, we could fight at practice but have an amazing time right after," Krueger said in an email.

However, one issue Krueger says she has with club sports is that they are underfunded.

"Dues are crazy and some people are discouraged to participate because of the dues," Krueger said.

Although Krueger said dues were expensive, she stayed in club rugby and believes that club sports are a good extra curricular activity regardless.

"Practice was a time to unwind when I didn't have to think about school," Krueger said.

Michael Olson, a fourth-year student, also played rugby at the university for three years. He credits club sports with helping him broaden his horizons.

"I decided to play rugby because it is something completely new to me and I wanted to try something different. I had heard of rugby before but really didn't know anything about it until my first practice. Once I went out, I really enjoyed it and have stuck with it ever since," Olson said.

For a list of all club sports and information, visit garnetgate.sa.sc.edu/organizations.