Five festivals in Columbia for football-free Saturday

For many students at the University of South Carolina, fall means football season. But this weekend is the only Saturday in September without a home game. Even though cooler weather hasn’t made its way to Columbia, fall festival season is here. There are a handful of festivals in Columbia this weekend that celebrate a variety of cultures. 

Jubilee: Festival of Black History and Culture

Historic Columbia’s 41st Jubilee on Saturday celebrates black history through music, dancing and storytelling. Grammy-nominated recording artist Dwele is headlining the event, and there will also be spoken word performances. Festival coordinator Na’Chanelle Brown said the goal is to bridge the gap between old and new by showcasing young talent in Columbia. Brown said she’s looking forward to seeing the community come out and honor the culture. 

“I’m not from Columbia, so it’s very important for me, as a non-local, to just really be able to pay homage to those [who] gave the history the richness that it has,” Brown said. 

The festival is located at the Mann-Simons Site in downtown Columbia. According to Historic Columbia’s website, this historic home was owned by the same family for around 130 years and the artifacts uncovered give a glimpse of black history throughout several eras. Tours of this site will be available, along with a bus tour of African American historic sites in Columbia.  

Columbia’s 33rd Greek Festival

This four-day festival gives South Carolinians the opportunity to feel “Greek for a week.” The cultural celebration includes Greek folk dancing performances and a historical look at Greek heritage. The food court offers a variety of authentic Greek cuisine, including Greek-inspired meatballs called keftedes. There will be a selection of desserts, such as baklava cheesecake and Athenian chocolate mousse. The festival is at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral on Sumter Street from Thursday through Sunday.

12th Annual Palmetto Peanut Boil

For those who are not native to the South, discover a South Carolina staple: boiled peanuts. Saturday’s festival all about the state’s snack will be on the 2900 block of Devine Street. There will be a boiled peanut competition where pre-registered teams cook their tastiest peanuts. Attendees can snack on peanuts and other food while listening to live music. The event is hosted by Animal Mission and all beverage and food proceeds will go to the charitable organization.

Midlands Plant and Flower Festival 

Need any plants or flowers to bring life to your house or apartment? The Midlands Plant and Flower Festival is held at the South Carolina State Farmers Market. Along with a selection of outdoor and indoor plants, there will be fall decor, fresh produce and other vendors. For those with a green thumb, expert gardeners will be available to give planting advice. 

Soda City 

The year-round market has become a destination for locals and visitors alike. Both sides of Main Street are lined with food and artisan vendors, while musical entertainers are dispersed throughout. The food trucks include cuisines from all over the world: arepas, Belgian waffles, pot stickers and avocado toast, to name a few. Fresh produce is sold by the box at stands. Artisans from across the state sell a variety of goods, including homemade candles and soaps.