Column: Comparing Shi Smith to Randall Cobb

The jump from college athletics to professional competition is quite a huge gap. Collegiate athletes strive to earn a spot working for any number of professional teams for millions of dollars. 

The leap to professional ball takes a lot of time and effort. However, students who put the effort in reap the benefits. Throughout the football season, hopeful draft prospects are constantly compared to current or previous professional athletes. These comparisons draw an idea of who this player may perform like, making their potential seem higher. 

South Carolina has an extremely talented team with high level recruits. Despite the rough start to South Carolina's season, there are a few bright points in the program. 

Junior slot receiver Shi Smith is one of the most athletic players and constantly puts work in. He has great yards-per-reception statistics with a whopping 14.1 yards per catch. Smith has proven to be one of new quarterback Ryan Hilinski’s main offensive weapons. 

When watching Smith's highlights, I was left with one player in my mind: Kentucky alumnus Randall Cobb. Cobb is currently a slot receiver for the Dallas Cowboys and is quite the firepower on offense. His quick feet and great route running helps give his offense more opportunities. Smith, like Cobb, is a threat downfield, proving as much with his amazing touchdown against Alabama.

Both of these athletes strive to play fierce, competitive football with maximum effort always left on the field. The current and former SEC players are extremely talented, and if Smith puts in the work, he can reflect Cobb’s career or even raise the ceiling for SEC slot receivers. Cobb and Smith bring a level of explosiveness to the game that very few athletes bring to the field.

Other than their styles of play, statistically Cobb and Smith are fairly similar. At Kentucky, Cobb averaged slightly less yards per reception, with 11.5 yards per reception. On top of yards per reception, Smith is only five touchdowns behind Cobb's college career number of touchdowns at Kentucky. 

Both receivers have been in the top five in the SEC based on yards per kickoff return in their respective years. Cobb and Smith have both played a handful of plays on the defensive side of the ball, both having solo tackles throughout their college tenure. 

Cobb and Smith are athletes with a lot of tenacity in their game. They continuously are working for every yard they can earn on the field. These offensive weapons are serving as reliable outlets for their quarterbacks to feed the ball to.

As the season continues, the college football landscape will see Smith improve and compete on a high level. Cobb’s style of play seems to be reflected well in Smith’s play.