Dakereon Joyner injured, will not play against Kentucky

Redshirt freshman quarterback Dakereon Joyner has suffered a strained hamstring and will not be available this Saturday when the Gamecocks face Kentucky at home. 

Joyner, who opened the season at third on the quarterback depth chart, has seen some time at the helm of the offense after quarterback Jake Bentley's injury. 

Joyner completed seven of his 12 pass attempts for 89 yards when he was under center. He has also played at wide receiver, contributing four catches for 29 yards, and as a wildcat running back, running 10 times for 49 yards and a touchdown.

While there has been plenty of talk about South Carolina quarterbacks Jake Bentley and Ryan Hilinski, Joyner has been a solid, yet under the radar, presence in the backfield as wildcat quarterback, backup quarterback, wide receiver and running back. 

Because it has been clear that Hilinski is above Joyner on the depth chart, the Gamecocks coaching staff has been utilizing him in multiple facets of the offensive attack during the season.

Due to Joyner's injury, redshirt sophomore quarterback Jay Urich, who opened the season at fourth on the quarterback depth chart, will be backing up starting freshman Hilinski. South Carolina fans will be looking to Hilinski to shoulder most of the offensive load and should hope that he is feeling 100% healthy in time for kickoff. 

Head coach Will Muschamp told The State Joyner would be sitting out because an MRI revealed further injury could occur if he plays.

Regardless, the loss of any player is a blow to the Gamecocks, especially at the quarterback position, where there have already been injuries earlier this season.

The Gamecocks are looking for their first SEC win of the year against the Wildcats on Saturday night. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. at Williams-Brice Stadium and on SEC Network.