Gamecock men's soccer shutout by No.11 Charlotte on the road

The No. 11 Charlotte 49ers shutout the South Carolina men's soccer team 4-0 Friday night in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The 49ers' offensive firepower was too much for the Gamecocks, leaving them unable to secure their first conference win of the season. The shutout adds on to a two-game losing streak for the Gamecocks while the 49ers improve to 6-0-2 on the season.

In the first half alone, Charlotte attempted nine shots compared to South Carolina’s three and scored on two of them. 

The first goal came in the 26th minute by way of junior Joe Brito. It only took Charlotte a little over 10 minutes to put another point on the board when junior Luke Johnson scored on a goal assisted by senior Teddy Chaouche. 

Defensively, South Carolina totaled eight fouls in the first half alone. South Carolina’s freshman defender Dylan Bartel was booked with a yellow card in the 19th minute. Freshman Zach Kirkwood was also given a yellow in the 71st minute. 

These defensive woes seemed to rub off on the Gamecock offense as well, as South Carolina only totaled five shots in the entire game, while Charlotte rattled off 18. 

The second half was not much better for the Gamecocks as Charlotte capitalized on their first half success and found the back of the net two more times with scores from freshman Axel Sigurdarson in the 66th minute and freshman Owen Peeler in the 87th minute. 

Tonight’s loss ends a brief road trip for the Gamecocks, who will be back home at Stone Stadium on Oct. 1 to face Presbyterian College.

Stats

Goals:

25th minute: (CLT) Joe Brito

38th minute: (CLT) Luke Johnson 

65th minute: (CLT) Axel Sigurdanson, 

87th minute: (CLT) Owen Peeler, 

Assists:

38th minute: (CLT) Teddy Chaouche

65th minute: (CLT) Teddy Chaouche, 

87th minute: (CLT) Chance Pellerin, 

Yellow Cards:

18th minute: (S CAR) Dylan Bartel, 

36th minute: (S CAR) Hunter Omli, 

49th minute: (S CAR) Axel Sigurdarson, 

70st minute: (S CAR) Zach Kirkwood,