Folk artist brings Indian culture to Columbia

With a glimpse into traditional Indian culture, one can find long-held practices of vibrant art forms and generations of passionate people who want to share their stories. Self-taught Indian folk artist Vani Murty conveys a taste of her cultural background through paintings and descriptions, all currently on display at Cool Beans, of her rich Indian culture.

Growing up in India, Murty’s family moved around often for her father’s job. She developed a love for drawing, and it became her most frequent pastime, feeding her passion for art. Always being in a new place and constantly coming into contact with new faces, she was exposed to a variety of art forms and cultural practices. This way of life inspired her to begin her own journey of traditional Indian painting and develop a sense of obligation to preserve its art. 

“As a child I always loved to draw, paint and draw influences from the real-life experiences,” Murty said.

Murty is currently a full-time artist, but at one point in her career, she set aside her passions for a degree in computer science. She was left unfulfilled. Her love for painting, held close to her heart, became her first priority and something she said she desperately could not ignore. She eventually left her career in information technology and was able to fully pursue her passion for Indian folk art. 

Not only does Murty represent her country’s profound heritage in her art pieces, but she is also able to incorporate unique and abstract aspects to give it a modern appeal. She said she wants to remind people that folk art is not an outdated tradition, but something we need to share with the world. 

“You don't see the regular villagers or the people who do such kind of art here in cities or in our modern world,” Murty said. 

Her paintings vary by medium and are very vibrant in color and design. One of her pieces, made especially for South Carolina, uses texture and the state's signature palmetto and crescent moon. She said there is serenity in this art form that makes it simultaneously simple yet complex. Her art form draws similarities to the philosophy of Zentangles, the art of gentle boundaries and structured patterns. This idea gives freedom to her art while keeping a sense of peacefulness, she said. 

As of now, Murty is on a lifelong journey to inspire others by proudly carrying her Indian roots wherever she and her family go. 

“I like to reach out to more people and tell them something about my country,” Murty said. 

She said she does not want to forget where she and her roots have come from. Rather, she said she hopes to take her past along with her as she moves forward in life, perhaps sharing it with others along the way.

Murty's art will be on display through Oct. 27 at Cool Beans Coffee Co. on campus, where she hopes to sell her work and bring about a cultural understanding of Indian folk art.