Column: SEC should not make excuses for officials after bad calls

Following the loss to Florida, the SEC received a lot of scrutiny over the missed and blatantly incorrect calls against the South Carolina Gamecocks. Apparently, head coach Will Muschamp called the SEC offices and complained about the egregious calls made for the Gators. The SEC has since made a statement regarding the calls and complaints.

“We view perfection as our desired goal while also understanding it will always be an elusive standard in a game that is filled with surprises. And we are disappointed when we don't get it right. Because our goal is to get it right, every time," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a press release. "While officials have always faced scrutiny, the effect has been intensified in recent years with the evolution of high-definition televisions and the ability to view super slow-motion replays from multiple angles on screens of all sizes and via replays shown on monster, crystal clear in-stadium video boards.”

In short, this is saying referees cannot get every call correct every time. There’s too much going on, and not every angle can be seen by an official. No one is perfect, which applies to officials, too. 

However, this is a blanket statement to cover for the bad calls of Saturday. In every professional league, when there is a controversial call or no call, there is justified outrage, as fans want games to be fair and justly won or lost. 

In organizations such as the NFL or the NBA, they usually, after further review under the magnifying glass of a rule book, admit they were wrong for making or not making a call. Not once does the SEC admit the calls against South Carolina were incorrect or unnecessary.

“SEC officials are held accountable for the overall body of their work and the work of their officiating crew, which is reviewed on a weekly basis throughout the season and on an annual basis," Sankey said. "Ongoing performance evaluations are used to determine game assignments, postseason assignments, compensation levels and ultimately, whether an official is invited to return for the following season."

After showing the ways SEC officials are scrutinized off the field, many questions are raised. What kind of punishments are to be inflicted upon careful examinations of horrible, excessive calls or lack thereof? 

It seems as if a gentle slap on the wrist is all the SEC will do to discourage bad calls, and the fans are the ones punished because they are deprived of the fair game they expected to see.

The SEC states criticizing officials as a coach or administrator is frowned upon. This rule does bleed over into other sports. NFL players especially have been getting hit with fines for criticizing an officiated game recently.

However, as fans, a difference can be made and a voice can be heard. The NFL had a lawsuit recently over the horrible pass interference no-call, which potentially caused the New Orleans Saints their Super Bowl chances last season.

I’m not saying anyone should pursue a lawsuit, but, as true fans of fair competition, football included, we should strive to push for accurately officiated games.

Gamecock fans don’t deserve to feel cheated as the SEC makes excuses for its officials. As fans, let's start to be more vocal about the bad calls in any competitive sport, nationally, locally or otherwise.