Former Gamecock Chris Silva plays well in NBA debut

Former Gamecock Chris Silva made his NBA debut — and scored eight points contributing to a Miami Heat win. 

When South Carolina entered its historic run in the men's March Madness tournament, Sindarius Thornwell did not carry the team alone. Against the Duke Blue Devils in 2017, Chris Silva racked up 17 points and two blocks to help push the Gamecocks further into the tournament. 

The following season, Silva won SEC co-defensive player of the year, all-SEC first team and was named to the SEC all-defensive team.

Silva got an opportunity to join the Heat July 11, 2019. With “Jimmy Buckets” out for game one, Miami changed his contract to a two-way contract, meaning he can play in the Heat's G-League affiliate or for the team itself if they need his talents.

In Silva's 11 minutes on the court in the 120-101 win over the Grizzlies, Silva scored eight points, shooting a perfect two-for-two at the free throw line and two-for-three from the field.

Silva also picked up six rebounds, which might earn him more minutes, considering Miami ranked eighth in rebounding before losing previous all-star Hassan Whiteside at the beginning of this off-season. 

Silva already has an impressive highlight with two blocks against Morant. He earned three blocks on the defensive side of the ball, including a HouseOfHighlights spotlight. 

Christ Fischer of NBC6 tweeted that Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra said: "in the 4th qtr defense was electric, led by Chris Silva."

Silva performed well in his first NBA game, showing he can add defense and rebounding to the Heat. Silva will continue to play for the Heat as they need him and will also be playing for G-League affiliate, Sioux Falls Skyforce. His progress will continue to be tracked in professional basketball.