Gamecocks hockey shuts out Commodores in home opener

The South Carolina club hockey team picked up its fourth-consecutive win to start the season as it defeated the Vanderbilt Commodores 7-0 on Friday night’s home opener at The Plex in Irmo.

The Gamecocks (4-0, 2-0 SECHC) wasted no time getting on the scoreboard, and the South Carolina offense put three goals between the pipes in the first one and a half minutes of the game. The goals came from sophomore defender Joe Kolega, freshman forward Owen Thomas and senior forward Alexander Siegfried.

“That was surprising, I would not expect that," Sirois said. "It was fortunate for us to get a great start like that.” 

The Gamecock offense did not let up later on in the first period, as senior forward Cory Hawkinson came up with a goal of his own with 8 minutes and 20 seconds left in the period. A goal from sophomore defender Tyler Oakley put South Carolina up 5-0 heading into the first intermission.

However, the rest of the game became more of a defensive battle for both teams, as the lone goal in the second period came from graduate defender Duncan Hickman. The lone goal in the third period came from sophomore forward Cameron Mecca, and it sealed the Gamecocks’ second SECHC win of the season.

“I thought we played fast, we obviously had a great start," head coach Allan Sirois said. "Altogether the guys played very well.” 

Key player

Though it seemed the offensive firepower showed by South Carolina was the star in the first period of the game, a key piece that led to the Gamecocks’ win was freshman goalkeeper Liam Gormley, who did not let the puck get past him as Vanderbilt put up 18 shots. 

This resulted in the Commodore offense coming away with no goals in Friday night’s game.

Observations

All seven of Friday night’s goals came from different Gamecocks, showing great depth in the South Carolina offense, Sirois noted.

“I’m very fortunate this season," Sirois said. "I believe it’s the best team I’ve had in the last five seasons here as a complete depth chart and as a whole team of all positions.” 

What’s next?

The Gamecocks are set to take on the Commodores once again Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. at The Plex to complete a two-game series between the SECHC rivals. 

After Saturday’s game, South Carolina will welcome another SECHC opponent: Florida. 

The Gators are coming off of a 9-8 win over the Tennessee Volunteers. The Gamecocks and Gators will face off first on Oct. 18 at 8 p.m., then Oct. 20 at 9:30 p.m. Both games will be played at The Plex.