Ink and Paper club makes mark on campus

Many people think of printing as the kind done by click of a button on the computer, but the artistic design of printmaking is very different. Printmaking is the process of transferring an image from a template to a surface. USC's own printmaking club, Ink and Paper, is open to all students.

Daniel Williams, a fourth-year art studio student with a concentration in printmaking, is the president of Ink and Paper. He said the club is easy-going and allows students the opportunity to develop any kind of printing art they want. 

Williams said the club's main type of printing is screen printing. It is the most popular type of printing because it is commonly used for making T-shirts and posters.

Jordan Le is a fifth-year art studio student and the treasurer of Ink and Paper. Le said members of Ink and Paper like that the club helps them to feel connected to the Columbia community. 

Ink and Paper allows people in the Columbia area to try their hands at printmaking. Le said they host workshops to teach the community how to do printmaking. The workshops are open to all of Columbia and are usually posted on the club's Facebook page.

The club often attends Arts and Draughts at the Columbia Museum of Art, where it teaches people how to make their own designs. 

"People can interact with us and print for free, and if they want to help support the club, they can pay like $3 or so for the print that they just made,” Le said. 

Ink and Paper has at least four screen printers they use at Arts and Draughts to teach people the process of printmaking.

"We have screens that we prepare in advance, and we let the community print it themselves," Williams said. "We show them how to do it, but we also sell some of our members’ artwork."

While Ink and Paper is able to do screen printing at various locations, other types of printing are performed in the printing room. 

"A lot of our processes require equipment like printing presses, litho presses; all that stuff happens in the press room," Williams said. 

Williams said the members of the club become close as a result of their time printing together. 

"We do have a really strong sense of community, and that’s one of the reasons why I enjoy printmaking so much," Williams said. “Printmakers really come together and help each other. There’s a lot less drama associated with the print department here than some of the other departments.”

The artwork created by Ink and Paper is sold in the surrounding community. The club often holds meetings to discuss different local events in which they can participate. 

Though Ink and Paper does not have regular meeting times, students can join the club through Garnet Gate or through the club's Facebook page. Community members can next find Ink and Paper at Arts and Draughts Nov. 15 at 7 p.m.