South Carolina State Fair celebrates 150 years

The South Carolina State Fair has been a staple of Columbia and the surrounding area for many years – 150, to be exact. For this year's milestone anniversary, the fair is unveiling a number of new features to share with South Carolina.

The fairgrounds introduced a new 150-foot tall Ferris wheel with air-controlled cabins this year. Another new addition is the circus, which features a trained dog show, a high wire act, silks and camels and is free with admission to the fair. The “rocket” is also decorated like a huge birthday candle, with patrons singing “Happy Birthday” to it.

Since the State Fair is such a rich part of South Carolina’s history, the people who make the fair possible wanted to go big for the 150th anniversary. Kathy Allen, the director of human resources and marketing for the fair, said in an email “The planning took a lot of meetings, a lot of organization and a lot of innovation.”

“The past year has been exciting and intense with all the planning,” Allen said. “Our board of directors had a great vision of what they’d like to see this year, and we’ve all had fun adding to the plan.” 

Memories are a central theme of this year's fair. One way the fair focuses on memories is an exhibit called the “Celebration of Memories,” which features artifacts and antiques dating all the way back to the 1860s. Harriette Sparks and her husband, Charles, have been putting together the “Celebration of Memories” for 25 years, and the couple has been collecting, borrowing and restoring antiques for over 50 years. 

“We love it, we enjoy it, it gives us an opportunity to meet all kinds of people,” Sparks said.

The couple is decorating a dining room setting for this year’s State Fair with pieces dating from 1869 to today. Over the years, the Sparks have included a few of their “signature" pieces into all of their settings: antique wedding gowns and a tea party set for children to enjoy. 

The two were the only people to work together on decorating the setting, and they are also the only two who go to the fairgrounds each night to stand by their work. 

“It’s something we consider a public service for people to look at,” Sparks said.

While the couple has been collecting items throughout their lives for themselves and for the fair, people have also donated items to them and even sent things in the mail for the couple to enjoy.

“It’s been great fun,” Sparks said. “The reward for it outweighs the work.”

Another way in which memories take center stage is through the new exhibit in the Ellison Building that features “prize-winning memories," which allows the public to bring in pictures, notes or anything that showcases memories of the fair throughout the years. The goal of this exhibit is to highlight how the State Fair has impacted lives and connected people since its beginning in 1869.

“My favorite thing about the fair is now hearing people’s favorite memories and seeing their photos. They have been so touching,” Allen said

The fair runs until Oct. 20. Times vary depending on the day. Adult tickets are $10, senior tickets are $7 and children aged 0 to 5 are admitted for free.