'Vampyr! The Opera' to put modern spin on classic

This Halloween season, there is more to watch than just “Hocus Pocus” and “Halloweentown” on repeat. On October 19, “Vampyr! The Opera” will be performing at Irmo Center for the Arts at 7:30 p.m. 

Written by local opera singer Evelyn Clary and produced by Columbia Operatic Laboratory, “Vampyr! The Opera” is a modernized and English rendition of an old German opera, “Der Vampyr.” 

The storyline follows Ruthven, a vampire who has made a deal with the devil allowing him to live seven more years as long as he seduces and murders three women in three days. Ruthven meets the first woman on Tindr and the second woman at a dive bar, but the third woman, who happens to be his roommate’s girlfriend, gives him more trouble than he is expecting. 

The newest member of the Operatic Laboratory, Clary thought of the idea for this adaptation and began writing the show this past spring. Having grown up constantly watching horror movies, Clary knew she wanted to do a Halloween opera that would be relevant.

“I thought maybe this Halloween we’ll do a concert with horror,” Clary said. “I knew some pieces had witches and devils and thought that way we’ll get some people who will be interested in coming to see it, who might not normally like opera but like the Halloween thing.” 

It is hard to picture anything but floor-length gowns, braided hair and horned helmets when thinking of the opera. However, “Vampyr!” is completely contemporary – the characters, the language, the events and the settings all match current times. Clary designed the entire play with both children and adults in mind. 

“[Opera] was a huge part of popular culture in the 17, 18 and 1900s, so I'm trying to get it back to that,” Clary said.

One major factor that will set this show apart while modernizing it is the empowerment of women. Typically in the beginning of opera, men played all of the lead roles because women were not widely accepted to perform on a stage.  However, in “Vampyr!” Clary will be playing the lead role of Ruthven.

Another main character, Lizzie Rose, was created to portray a modern-day woman with “a lot more backbone than she does in the German version,” Clary said. 

Clary grew up around music, with both of her parents having played an instrument. Her uncle conducted an orchestra and was always giving her free tickets to go to the concerts. Having been exposed to opera and orchestras at such a young age, it is no wonder Clary was drawn to this type of performance. 

Alongside Clary on stage will be some of USC’s very own alumni: Maria Beery, Margaret Eighmey, Patrick Fowler, Emmett Kirwan, Robin Price, Amos Warren, Jerryana Williams-Bibiloni and director Tyler Eighmey.

This drama is recommended for ages 13 and up. While there is plenty of horror, Clary also made sure to throw in some comedic relief and romance. 

“It’s a fun night. There's comedy, there's violence, there's blood,” Clary said. 

“Vampyr!” tickets will be sold at Irmo Center of the Arts for $10 starting Oct. 19 or online.