Gamecock women's basketball remains undefeated with blowout win over Appalachian State

The No. 6 ranked Gamecocks increased their record to 4-0 after defeating Appalachian State, 92-50 Sunday in Colonial Life Arena. 

Early foul trouble on Appalachian State's part sent South Carolina to the line early, helping the Gamecocks get off to an 11-0 start. 

Despite early foul trouble from freshman Brea Beal, the Mountaineers didn't capitalize on any offensive opportunity, and with a fast-paced offense with flashy plays from freshman Zia Cooke and senior Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, the Gamecocks were pouring basket after basket on the Mountaineers. 

After the Gamecocks were up 32-0, the Mountaineers got on the board with a 3-point basket from junior Lainey Gosnell. 

After ending the first quarter with a 35-3 lead, multiple offensive rebounds gave South Carolina lots of second chance points in the second quarter, something it used to amplify its lead even more. 

South Carolina went into the half with a 53-9 lead. Appalachian State shot 10% from the field, while the Gamecocks went 22-for-41 from the field, shooting 54%.

After a dismal first half, the Mountaineers finally found some life in the third quarter. Behind redshirt senior Ashley Polacek’s third quarter surge from behind the arc, Appalachian State scored 21 points in the second half.

South Carolina didn't match the third quarter the Mountaineers had, scoring less points in the third quarter (19) than Appalachian State. Regardless of the lack of points scored by the Gamecocks in the quarter, they still held a 72-30 lead at the end of the third quarter. 

The fourth quarter saw a similar trend scoring wise as the third quarter. Appalachian State maintained the rhythm it gained in the third quarter and hung around the Gamecocks scoring wise in the fourth quarter. 

Boston put the finishing touches on a double-double, and the team continued to capitalize off of Appalachian State's foul trouble with senior Bayley Plummer fouling out early in the fourth quarter for the Mountaineers.

In the end, both teams ended up scoring 20 points in the fourth quarter, but it was too little, too late for the Mountaineers. Appalachian State shot 27% total from the field while South Carolina netted 56% from the field.

In the post game press conference, Appalachian State head coach Angel Elderkin said "The way we started, I certainly was disappointed." Elderkin went on to praise the Gamecocks saying she was "really impressed with South Carolina." 

South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley said the defensive "mental breakdowns" and "not executing our defensive plan" led to the Mountaineers garnering more points in the third quarter and tying in the fourth quarter.

The Gamecocks' next game is at Colonial Life Arena against USC Upstate Thursday, Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. The game can be viewed on SEC Network.

Key Stats:

South Carolina Leaders

Points: Herbert Harrigan, 21

Rebounds: Boston, 10

Assists: Beal/Harris, 4

Appalachian State Leaders

Points: Polacek, 13

Rebounds: Plummer, 6

Assits: Brooke Bigott, 2